Antique Tractors Forum banner

100 B (PINKY'S) new seat (9-29-12)

31K views 127 replies 20 participants last post by  missouri massey man 
#1 ·
Finally going back together with the B.

See less See more
#53 ·
Re: 100 B careful it is pink and grey for the final color.

That is a stainless steel battery box I had made for it since I didnt have one. The hood that I painted and got ready is about three inches longer than the one that fits it and is minus a hole cut in the top of it for a starter tank.I assume it fits a super of some sort. I bought it off eBay my firsts B had a piece of sheet metal bent over the engine. So I bought one that says fits a B I didn't realize there is a difference. So I gotta redo the right one and sale the wrong one.

#54 ·

You weren't seeing things to start with John, the gear shifter is about five feet long

#56 ·

I think what you are seeing is the wire brackets that hold the wires to the tank, i painted them grey as well as the choke rod and the starter rod as well. all those brackets are grey. I can take some better pics of that area so you can see what i have got painted what. i still got to go back over all the bolts and nuts and paint them. But running is my current goal.

#57 ·

Rocky577 said:
I think what you are seeing is the wire brackets that hold the wires to the tank, i painted them grey as well as the choke rod and the starter rod as well. all those brackets are grey. I can take some better pics of that area so you can see what i have got painted what. i still got to go back over all the bolts and nuts and paint them. But running is my current goal.
Could be what Im seeing!! My eyes are getting worse everyday!!!

#58 ·

Here is a picture of the underside of the tank. I don't have all the wires cleaned up and routed like I like them yet. Wann make sure it fires and runs then clean it all up. I got her to give me a couple puffs of smoke tonight I just don't have everything lined out and timed right yet. Got the IT manual gonna carry it to work to make sure I got everything times right. I wasn't getting fire to points at first and had to giggle some coil wire but have fire all the way to plugs. Any pointers on setting the timing between distributor and engine?

#59 ·

What I was seeing is a hole!!! Duh, should have known that :D Just make sure #1 cyl. is TDC on compression stroke, get the dist. set pretty close to #1, an shell fire close enough for you to get it set better. Ive worked on many, and rebuilt many IH engines, and each one is different, liking the timing better in one spot that the other, so I wont say or give and exact spot ofr the timing to be set, just have to go by "feel".

#61 ·

I was had to cut me a gasket for the sediment bowl. but it is all on now. My carb is over flowing when i attemp to start it , when i release the starter from rotation the carb floods out the drain hole in the bottom. do i need to readjust the float so it don't suck up as much gas. or is that normal for when it doesn't start? gonna go tonight and get the distributor in time by how the manual goes. seems fairly easy by the way IH wrote it. Thanks for all the comments i have really enjoyed working and restoring this tractor that was set for scrap when i got her.

#64 ·

Both really john, it had a constant Leak but isn't much so I assume the float needs adjustment. I ALS o know the percock doesn't mesh right when I shut it off it still drips, it also over flows when it doesn't start. I am sure that is just unburnt fuel falling back out of the intake. I did get it to crank today after reading the IT manual how to adjust the distributor. The bendix on the starter is hanging and not releasing and the oil pressure gauge isn't reading. Gonna address both of those before I let it run long. Not sure but I think I have some wires mixed up, I attempted to shut it down with the on off switch and it didn't shut off... I think I kinda panicked when I heard the bendix still engaged so I jerked the coil wire off. Will check it again tomorrow to see if it was just my imagination. AnyOne know what the exhaust manifold diameter is for an exhaust pipe?

#67 ·

Thanks John,
I did unhook the battery Dave thanks I was using jumper cables since I don't have the battery cables yet. I also was worried about the gas leaking do I unhooked it, didn't realize it could be burning points though. Thanks for the tip

#68 ·

I tinkered on it a little bit tonight, got a little bit still to do. I have a concerning question.
WHEN I START THE TRACTOR IN NEUTRAL THE TRANSMISSION SHAFT IS ENGAGED AND MAKES A WHINNING RACKET . If I push the clutch in there is no noise at all. Any idea what is the issue? My thoughts is the clutch plate but the tractor is in neutral. I ran it trying to adjust the carb and come to find out I didn't have the governor linkage hooked up. So I will try it again tomorrow. I have an oil leak at the front cover gasket and one at the center oil pan bolt at the back that feels stripped. So not sure how I am to fix that. Just a few minor issues to clear up a far cry from where I came from.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh11 ... bc7afb.mp4
Here is the sound with the transmission going
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh11 ... 165a3f.mp4

#69 ·

Cant see the pics! Youll have to refresh my memory, did you do anything to the transmission? It could just be the constant mesh gear whining? That tractor has straight cut gears, and they are going to whine. You did put gear oil in it didnt you?

#70 ·

There is only three things I did to The transmission, one was clean it out real well, and remove the PTO and belt pulley and put a delete plate my dad made on it. I changed the seals out where the counter shafts go into the housing. I changed the IMG links to the direct video link so you should be able to see it now. I did put oil in it up to where it came out the plug on the passenger side near the front about in line with where the brake rod runs up the side. I assumed that was the full line. I can understand the tranny WHINNING some but it doesn't make a sound with the clutch depressed.

#71 ·

Rocky577 said:
I can understand the tranny WHINNING some but it doesn't make a sound with the clutch depressed.
Thats because it isnt spinning. When you push the pedal down, you relaese the disc, which is attached to the main shaft. Frcition, mostly from gear oil, stops the gears inside, the input shaft and clutch disc from spinning.

I couldnt really tell from the video, just sounded like the starter winding down, you did get that fixed didnt you?

#72 ·

It wasn't the stater winding down at all it was always the tranny gears WHINNING. I did take the starter off and lubricate the bendix and the shaft in it. I will try to get a better video tomorrow. I have to buy my battery and cables and swap carb upper housings. Then should be ready for a test drive and bath so I can finish the paint and body.

#74 ·

For the transmission whine, if it were a car or truck and it whined like your description it would be the input shaft bearing of the transmission. The input shaft bearing will spin when it is in neurtal and the clutch out. With the clutch depressed, the input shaft will not be spinning. I have not got in that deep into my Farmall BN which is very similar to yours. I will be digging into the transmission in the weeks to come. I only assume it is the same type of arrangement that would be in a car or truck.
JWR
1947 Farmall BN undergoing restoration

#75 ·

i didn't disassemble where the input bearings are because the seals was still good and holding back fluid. if so i have a second transmission i can swap the input shaft and bearing and all out of to put in mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.