Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When were the 14T balers made? Would one be a good match for an early styled B? What things should I look for when horsetrading for one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure the actual production dates, but mine was a 1964 ( a newer one!). Sure they go back to the 1950's. My parts manual suggests 1955. Your JD dealer could tell you for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will they work well together? I think the 14T is powered by the tractor's PTO, as opposed to the 24T which has its own engine. Will a model B have enough juice to pull the tractor AND run the baler? I've never baled hay before, but am going to start soon.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think a B could run the baler, but without live power and if you have never run a baler it could be tricky. If you have to use the clutch you are going to slug the baler.....mike

·
Registered
279 Posts
Without a live pto you need to learn to pop the transmission out of gear smoothly so that the clutch and thus the pto keeps turning, it takes a little practice, but when the baler plunger changes direction it unloads the transmission momentarily and you can pop it out of gear until the baler works the hay through, best learned on smooth flat ground. The B should be fine power wise in most situations, As a kid I made a LOT of bales with a 14T pulled by an unstyled all fuel AR, while pulling a 10 bale manual stooker in pretty hilly country. If you have access to a live pto tractor you might want to use that to learn the baler's "personality" first, then whhen you are comfortable switch to the B.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We ran a 14T with a Farmall H and M. Neither of those had live power and wasn't a big deal. Either handled it well. I'm quite sure the first year was 1955. The 55 is unique in that the bale chamber is solid on top but by 56 was sloted so you could see the knots while the bale was still in the chamber and they could be repaired. It so seldom missed that no one paid attention to the knots anway. A nice baler. MAC266, The New Holland was also a good baler and is about the same vintage. Mike1111 Balers have large flywheels to keep the baler powered long enough to use the clutch to take the tractor out of gear, then resore the power to the baler. Vern

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have baled with my 14T and my 1939 unstyled AR. The big problem was a adapter for the PTO broke. The old baler likes a constant 540 rpm (gives you aprox 60 stokes of the plunger per minute). Light hay windrows will likley be ok, but heavy stuff would be a chore. I find even with my JD 1030 (45 hp) the baler will slow down (surge) on heavy windrows thus losing the constant 540 rpm. I believe the operators manual sugfgests 35 hp minimum.

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
Wa had 14T Baler back in the late 1950's. We pulled it with a JD B and later with a JD 60 which had live PTO. The B handled it OK but having a tractor with a live PTO was a big improvement. The 14 T was a great little baler. ;) We bought it new and sold it just a few years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts