1 - 20 of 59 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hello MasseyMechanic; glad to see You here. Thank You for reposting this. This restoration is one of my all time favorites :lol:

·
Registered
319 Posts
The one and only Masseymechanic :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Colin, what the story on that farmall in the bacground of the last picture?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I love that project!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Farmall M in the background of the last picture belongs to my niece.It is sitting with diesel and penetrating fluid in the cylinders.Once it is turning free it will be restored.As it stands right now I am picking away at bits and pieces of Rays 44.In particular I am lining up new tires for it.Checked the old D on Sunday and it still turns. :D :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm looking at an old D with spoked rims on rubber. Looks to be about 34-36 year range, but either way its unstyled. What problems might i be looking at? It's sitting complete underneath a tree and has been there all my life (19 years)

·
Registered
224 Posts
by Reese92PA » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm looking at an old D with spoked rims on rubber. Looks to be about 34-36 year range, but either way its unstyled. What problems might i be looking at? It's sitting complete underneath a tree and has been there all my life (19 years)

Reese92PA,

I'm working on a JD and your problems depend on what condition the tractor is inside. You have to figure that it was left there for some reason. If the engine is not stuck, helps some. It has been my experiences through investigation that doing a good tractor to start with and doing it right (head job, pistons, polishing the crank...) it will cost you around $3500.00 and a bunch of time. However it is a process of love and you have to love it.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd like a project to rebuild from the ground up pretty much just to say I did it. This is a local tractor and I like the look of the unstyled D's, even though I know they're costly. They have babbit bearings correct? Since it's been sitting there so long I can plan on the engine being froze up and I figured that I would probably just end up getting it bored out. I know it's going to need a lot of work, but it doesn't seem like there's much to them, so that can either be a kicker or a helper.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reese92PA said:
I'd like a project to rebuild from the ground up pretty much just to say I did it. This is a local tractor and I like the look of the unstyled D's, even though I know they're costly. They have babbit bearings correct? Since it's been sitting there so long I can plan on the engine being froze up and I figured that I would probably just end up getting it bored out. I know it's going to need a lot of work, but it doesn't seem like there's much to them, so that can either be a kicker or a helper.
Mine has bearing shells in it. They are actually quite easy to get a stuck engine loose on. They are very simple in design but you have to make sure all the right shims are in the right places.If not they will give you stress.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bill z said:
by Reese92PA » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Reese92PA,

I'm working on a JD and your problems depend on what condition the tractor is inside. You have to figure that it was left there for some reason. If the engine is not stuck, helps some. It has been my experiences through investigation that doing a good tractor to start with and doing it right (head job, pistons, polishing the crank...) it will cost you around $3500.00 and a bunch of time. However it is a process of love and you have to love it.

Keep us informed.
Most people don't throw them or weld them together as the case may be and have them run. Good idea to do them right from the start to have them last. The tractor gods watch over me I am guessing. I think they make things happen for me that shouldn't.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally found the proper riser pipe from the block to the radiator.Now I can put the proper rad on and make it look like a proper 1938 model.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked this one out yesterday. Still turns over after sitting all winter. Looks pretty sad sitting on blocks though. Discovered the axle to housing bolts are leaking.Have to find some way to seal it up. Hopefully some time this summer I will get new rear tires on it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Colin i don't know if You would be interested, just in case, Iron Trader has a listing this month on a top radiator tank for a 37 D; i am not positive but am guessing its near the same for the 38 model.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for letting me know. I do have the complete radiator and riser pipe to fit this one. Really need a hood for it though. Will likely just get one built.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The one thing I could really use is a couple of DLTX carbs in rebuildable condition. They are very difficult to find up here. Maybe that is because everybody and their brother has a D up here and they are all in use.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Changed out the rubber tires for steel wheels. Saves on tire repair when breaking new land with stumps and snags and all that stuff.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts