Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My 1946 B has the brass pressure relief valves over the cylinders. I open them to start it (less pressure is easier on the 6V system), but then close them right away when it starts running. However, there is a little black residue that leaks out and runs down the frame. Is this normal, or does it mean my valves need to be replaced?

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's fairly normal. A little trick to keep it from making a mess is to close it, but not let the handle portion touch the frame. Any residue will drip off on the ground instead of all over your tractor.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The head mechanic at the local Deere Dealership has several letter series poppers. He has tried replacing pet cocks for that reason and says it doesn't very often stop all the dribble. The guys are giving good advice. I will shortly replace the cocks on my avatar a as one has completely given up and its absolutely a have to; i personally wont replace these parts till its necessary.

·
Registered
64 Posts
mgood said:
The head mechanic at the local Deere Dealership has several letter series poppers. He has tried replacing pet cocks for that reason and says it doesn't very often stop all the dribble. The guys are giving good advice. I will shortly replace the cocks on my avatar a as one has completely given up and its absolutely a have to; i personally wont replace these parts till its necessary.
I hear ya. Have you seen the price of those things. Crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts