Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a 1946 Case VAC row planter with the 2.0 liter gasoline engine. It has been running like a top for the first 3 months I've owned it but recently has begun running rough, sputtering, blowing flames out of the exhaust and then dying.

I have changed the spark plugs and battery and checked the coil, distributor but it is still acting up.

Has anyone had issues with these engines or similar issues with other engines? Any ideas on what to check next or what to look at? I'm wondering if a valve may be stuck open or timing could be off? Where are the timing marks located, on the main bearing or fly wheel?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,538 Posts
The first thing I would do is to get a container to catch the gas, take out the carb bowl plug, and let the gas flow to see if you have a good steady stream of fuel for at least a half a minute. Rule out a fuel problem first before diving into electrical and spark issues. If this doesn't help then I'd be checking the coil to see if it gets really hot, and then the condenser.

·
Administrator
4,357 Posts
Jim gave you some good advice. One needs proper fuel flow first and foremost.
From my experience every time my old tractor starts the symptoms you described......
"running rough, sputtering, blowing flames out of the exhaust and then dying"...... and generally in that order.
The first thing I do is change the condenser. More times than not it's the culprit on my tractor.
The quality of distributor parts has declined to the point where I always keep a spare or two around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts