Antique Tractors Forum banner

1948 8N starts and dies

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Wi11y 
#1 ·
I have used this tractor for more than 30 years in my horse operation and have had it apart several times over the years. Recently removed and rebuilt carb and installed new points, coil and condenser. Not difficult, having done same thing more than once in the past. Sandblasted and set plug gap. Everything according to the shop manuals.
It starts with good suction at carb, runs slowly for a few seconds and dies. Cannot get it to run faster, even when encouraged with a healthy squirt of starter fluid. Have replaced the new condenser, just in case. Good gas flow to carb.
Have set front distributor timing according to manual.

Attempting to solve the problem, I have moved timing adjustment to several settings from slowest to fastest.

I have tried setting the carb needles in various places from lean to rich. No help.

Gas flows out of carb throat when I choke it trying to keep it running.
Is my engine haunted?

BTW, I had virtually the same engine in my 1929 Model A Ford for many years, and worked on that engine several times. Currently also have a 1952 8N that runs fine.

A personal response would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Have you removed the plug from the bottom of the carb to see if you have a good steady flow of fuel over time, say 30 seconds or so? Could you possibly have a couple of plug wires crossed on the distributor?

#4 ·
Yes Jim,
I have done all of the normal quality control checks and all is as it should be.
I am now looking at a different angle. I mentioned in my long rambling original post that gas runs out of the carb intake. On a whim, i took carb apart again and noticed that there is a dent in the float, possibly causing it to not shut off gas flow while engine runs. This could contribute to quickly fouling plugs (another issue that has puzzled me) and causing engine to stop. As a last gasp rescue attempt, I ordered a new float from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. MAYBE that will solve the problem since all other angles have been examined. Will leave a followup report.

#3 ·
After you confirm good fuel flow, check for a good blue spark, and does it have wire core plug wires, the plug wires designed for modern electronic ignitions don't function well with point ignition. if you only get a weak yellow spark, find another coil to test run it with.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, a dented float can make the engine run rich. That part will stop the plugs from fouling.

BTW? In the future these posts should be in the Ford section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.