Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 1948 Farmall C. Where can I get an ignition, or starter switch? The serial number plate is missing because the tool box has been replaced. How can I find out my serial number? Any other locations?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
There are many sources for the switch. Steiner Tractor, batescorp, Case/IH/newhollond/whatevertheycallthemselvesnow dealer, etc. Even you local Napa could probably order you one. The serial number should be stamped on the the engine on a flat spot just below the #1 spark plug.(Closest plug to the raidator.) It may or may not match the tractor serail number. Also look for casting codes. The look like *3*13*K* with the *s looking like screw heads. These should be within a few months of each other. Post those numbers and we can tell you the year, or very close to it. BTW, welcome to ATF!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome aboard! We have a 1950 Farmall C, nice tractor!

·
Registered
97 Posts
John is right about serial number location. call Jason at Marshals tractor parts for any and all parts, they keep lots of C parts in stock at all times

masrshals number is 1-859-234-5889. tell Jason that Greg Berry told you to call he will take care of you. lots of parts are available from auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Does it still have the pull rod that runs to the switch mounted on the starter? If so any decent parts store like NAPA or Carquest should be able to get the switch for you. If it has a key switch or push button mounted on the platform it's still easy to find, just best to take the switch to the parts store with you and match it up. If it is still six volt go ahead and get some heavy duty battery cables for it while you're at it.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Farmall guys,
I have a neighbor that has a low serial number C he is going to truck it across country to a big sale in mid April I think are thes low serial number units of any more value than any others? I don't think this tractor is in my future just interested:)
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
as with anything.. some collectorts might value a low sn range.. or a particular range that had an option they needed.

i wish him luck on the C.. then seem to come cheap and are hard to move. :) ( but that means you get to keep them! ) :)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Thanks Chris,
I think he is looking for big dollars and maybe the right tractor will get that. To me it sounds liked maybe a $1500 tractor may could be $2000??? Hope he is not disappointed:(
I didn't go see it but see several others in that range of price on the internet.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Chris,
Thanks this helps me on the price of these. Sometimes you see this stuff priced real high but like you say it may never sell.
Hope I didn't highjack this post to much, I will back on out now.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I think its 516?
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Sometimes the switch just needs a good cleaning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts