Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2009 I rescued this forgotten 1950 CASE VAC. Got it home only to find the block and head cracked under all the caked on grease. So I took it apart to assess the damage and there it's sat since. Saturday after supper I went out to my shop to pickup tools and organize a few things. 8 hours later my tools weren't picked up but a tractor appeared out of thin air! I have 7 VA series and all but 1 are in my shop torn down for various repairs. This VAC I picked to join my 400 diesel to be rebuilt into a working tractor, that is with all the handy and user friendly options such as wide fronts and remote hydraulics. Here is a before and the picture from 2:30 Sunday morning! This tractor spent it's life cultivating corn. I have the cultivators and fenders, but I don't know if I'll cultivate with it anymore. It's getting pushed into hay raking, back blade, post hole digger and other chores.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It surly did transform! These are near and dear as it was the first tractor I ever drove on the farm.
Nice pictures. Any chance you could clean my garage and have a WD Allis appear?
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have 7 VA series CASE tractors running around and in pieces! The engine came from a 1948 VAC I junked in December because it had no options and the transmission was junk. This tractor is going to the farm to work. Remote hydraulic valve, wide front, and Eagle Hitch should make for a nice utility and haying tractor. I got some of the wiring replaced but found a problem with the front end that may require some gas wrench to get apart. Bushings in the vertical shaft for steering are gone and the end play is ridiculous. All in time.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
You need to come spend some time around my place. You could catch me up pretty quick from the looks of it. Thats gonna make a handy addition around the farm.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, got a few minutes out in the shop tonight to work on it some more. Broke the upper water neck bolts off in the head. I have a rebuilt head in my office so I decided to swap them out since this tractor burned some oil. Found a ridge in the bore so I'll throw in new pistons and sleeves too! Got my gas wrench out and got the steering apart so I could rebush the steering shaft and put a grease zerk in it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soundguy said:
got any pics of the remote?
Here is two of the remote valves I have. One is all rebuilt and one is about to be. They are simple. They can be used as 2 single acting circuits or one double acting. Not a whole lot of hydraulic power but will pick up a 2 bottom plow or small front end loader.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, pulled the sleeves and pistons out tonight. Also took part of the front end apart to get the oil pan off. Oil pan had over an inch of sludge in it and the rod bearings are just about shot. These pictures show the importance of cooling system maintenance. I've had some where the rust and sediment was up to the top of the sleeve deck around #4. This one was about a 3rd of the way up. Rod journals spec out good for .020" shells which is what came out. Sleeves and pistons are usable for someone who uses it for lite duty if anybody needs them let me know as they will be for sale. The tractor this came out of was a big bandaid of cobbled fixes, and as I pulled the sleeves I found silicone on the sleeve seals. DO NOT EVER DO THAT!!!!!
Sleeve puller

deposit ring on #4

junk in the water jacket

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this week while I'm waiting on engine parts I decided to tear into the rear end. I know it needed axle seals and I stole the LH brake for the 1944 VAC at that was was cracked. Now, keep in mind this tractor spent it's entire working life with a set of mounted cultivators on it and they were still on it when I dragged it home. Apparently the leaking seals were caused by the rear wheels being ran loose and they actually tore into the axle housing. Also, the LH axle was loose and as a result the seal area was heavily grooved and where the bearing presses on was worn .020" so the bearing fell off. Lucky for me I had a spare long axle and a pair of late style (Eagle Hitch tractor) wheel centers in my parts stash and a new set of bearings. Now for the bad news. I reached in and grabbed the back of the input shaft of the transmission and it's sloppy. Counter shaft is also loose. Guess I'll have to split it in the middle too. It'll have to wait until after the engine is back together. Here are a few pictures of how I change axle seals. The first picture shows how I use a tire spoon and crescent wrench to jack the axle out and the wrench holds the nut. I then turn the axle out with a large crescent wrench on the key way. Works slick. For those who say you can remove the seals without removing the axle I have yet to see it done in a timely fashion. This method takes about an hour for both sides. Also, in the one picture notice under the inner axle bearing there is a cast hole for the axle housing to fill and drain of gear lube. It is also a good idea when the axles are out to clean the inside of the axle tubes out as they are often full of grease and sludge. I also took the time to replace the brake I stole a few years ago and rebuild both sides with new grease seals as well. The pre-1952 VAC's used a Lambert single disk brake and the disks swap with a SC or they can be relined. I have a stash of decent used so I went that route. By the time I got around to the brakes it was nearing midnight so sorry for not taking any photos. I had it buttoned up and on all 4 tires by 2am. If anybody needs overhaul procedures for the brakes let me know, they are pretty simple.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great to see it coming back to life!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, been busy making hay. Did spend most of yesterday afternoon and evening in the shop splitting the transmission from the torque tube so I could reshim the bearings and replace the input seal. All went well. Now to button up the hydraulics and wiring. Should be ready for second cutting hay.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Nice looking VAC. What are your plans for the cultivators?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
1031d said:
Well, been busy making hay. Did spend most of yesterday afternoon and evening in the shop splitting the transmission from the torque tube so I could reshim the bearings and replace the input seal. All went well. Now to button up the hydraulics and wiring. Should be ready for second cutting hay.

Need to get some advise on that sometime.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts