Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I recently bought a 1952 Massey-Harris Pony, and am currently fixing it up. It needs about every fluid changed on the tractor, but the oil is where I am stumped. I have all the original manuals and service information, but I don't know which type of oil to use. The manual has three different types of oil listed, but I don't know which one to add. I live in the Pacific Northwest with a temperate climate, and I don't know whether to put spring, summer, or winter oil in it. Looking for answers from anyone looking to help.

Thanks, Bob

·
Administrator
4,251 Posts
I am assuming you mean engine oil. I use a multi grade oil like a 10w-40. Lubricants have evolved over the past 70 years.
Some tractor manuals at one time called for 30w non detergent for hydraulic fluid because it's what they had that worked.
Now we have all sorts of synthetics, blends, and well refined lubricants down to a 0w-5 I've seen on the shelves.
A good quality 10w-30 or 10w-40 of your choice should keep your engine lubricated well year round.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
What Dave says! I have run 10w-40 in Farmalls, from a Cub, to Super As, and an H, for over 40 years. In the hydraulics either universal hydraulic oil, or 30w non-detergent oil. Most tractors of that era required 90w oil in the transmission and final drives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am assuming you mean engine oil. I use a multi grade oil like a 10w-40. Lubricants have evolved over the past 70 years.
Some tractor manuals at one time called for 30w non detergent for hydraulic fluid because it's what they had that worked.
Now we have all sorts of synthetics, blends, and well refined lubricants down to a 0w-5 I've seen on the shelves.
A good quality 10w-30 or 10w-40 of your choice should keep your engine lubricated well year round.
Thank you for your help. I also had two other quick questions. When filling up my radiator, should I use a mixture of anti-freeze and water with a rust inhibitor? Also, I was recommended to use non-ethanol gas from the pump. Is that true?

Thanks, Bob

·
Administrator
4,251 Posts
On the coolant .....yes .....use the same 50/50 mix that autos use.
As far as conventional gas......I personally recommend it for these old tractors, though it's not a necessity.
Mine seem to run better and don't seem to have fuel problems others speak about.
I have it delivered in bulk as I still run my farm with old gas powered tractors.
Another thing, 89 octane was regular when these old tractors were built. I've heard people swear to use it and not 87 octane.
However, I can't tell much difference between how mine run on today's 89 versus 87 octane fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts