Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this one a couple years ago now.I was told the engine was stuck and that if I could get it off the field I could have it. This picture is as it was found.

This picture was after I got it running. Rigged up what I needed to make it work and move it.Turns out that it only has the age old Massey problem. The ring gear is worn out.

Had to pump up the front tires but managed to get it running and now it is used for all kinds of things.
I found it just southwest of Metiskow Alberta. Drove it the 20 miles or so to Cadogan.Albert, where I was living at the time. From there I drove it another 12 miles into Provost, Alberta. The following picture is from the Provost Fair parade.

After the parade it spent about two weeks at the Provost Museum on display. I then drove it back to Cadogan. It sat about a month, then was loaded up and hauled to Westlock, Alberta. There it was used to dig Rays tractor out of the line up and put the engine in it as well.

As you can see it does work for an engine hoist as well.
It spent the following winter in Whitecourt, Alberta being used for pushing snow. I didn't get pictures of that I am sorry to say. It is now back at Westlock, Alberta relaxing until spring is in full swing once again.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Nice photo journal of the old '44. :cool:
I've never been lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time to get those deals. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come follow me around during the summer and see what kind of deals you can stumble over :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Like Dave said I always find out about those kind of deals from the people that got them. I enjoyed the story and the pics. I'd love to have a loader tractor around the farm, they would have to be one of the handest tools a man could have.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Am sure it wont be long before its pushing snow again ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gordon1121 said:
Like Dave said I always find out about those kind of deals from the people that got them. I enjoyed the story and the pics. I'd love to have a loader tractor around the farm, they would have to be one of the handest tools a man could have.
As soon as the snow goes and it dries up, I have to go pick up the 3 W-6 McCormicks that I made the deal on last fall. Two of them have loaders on them. I also have a Cockshutt 40 with a loader on it to get running. Who knows, maybe we can swing a deal on one of them. McCormicks are not my favorite of tractors and Cockshutt I know nothing about as yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last fall I started having trouble with this one.Developed a misfire. Turns out the #4 rocker wasn't oiling properly. Valve stuck and bent the pushrod. Got it all fixed up and back together tonight. Runs as good as ever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it moved out to the farm I am looking after. Got half of the driveway leveled out with after I got it fixed. Will have to get some pictures of it working and get them up here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This one is pretty good on fuel. Goes about 2 hours on 5 gallons of fuel. Then on the other hand I work it pretty hard as well.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
that's the one problem once you start getting into larger gassers. their fuel economy drops fast once you hit a certian hp level.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Compared to my other 44 it is exceptionally easy on fuel. The one I call Psycho will slurp up 2-1/2 gallons in 15 minutes if you work it really hard. That being said it has no shortage of horsepower. The loader engine is factory spec H260 and the other one is reworked to come out at 287 CID. In the end I have one stock 44 at about 45 HP and one at about 64 HP which is factory spec for a 55 gas model. Can't understand why I am told that I souped it up though. Continental Engines in Edmonton AB did the rebuild on it including all the required machining to do the job right. Might be the 4-1/16 propane power dome pistons that make the big difference in it and that is what it had in it when it was taken in as a worn out engine. The loader tractor is no slouch for horsepower though either. It was used pushing snow a couple years back. Attached an 8 ft blade to the bucket and was able to push snow to the top of the rad in 2nd gear until it tore through a set of tire chains.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i bet it is the propane parts.

I mess with ford red tiger engines.. and am tickled when i get in units that were propane but converted to gasoline with only manifold addition plus carb and deletion or preheater.. or cap off of preheater.

higher comp rates for propane parts are nice.

still nicer is to take a 192 block and 134 lpg head and use the propane pistons.. :) i'm thinking high 60's hp on that setup

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had to use the loader last night. Pull the choke, hit the key and away it went like it had been run five minutes before. Amazed at how well it works considering when I got it the guys said it was seized.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't had a chance to get any good pictures lately. Got some that are not clear enough to see anything in so won't be posting them. Next order of business is rear tires for this one. Found a spot on one tire where the tube is sticking through the face of the tread. This one has been a life saver since the other tractor is waiting on new front tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decided to try and dig this one out of the snow bank today. Doesn't work so well with the loader on and no weight on the back end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haven't uploaded a picture of it as yet but have added some weight to it for feeding round bales. Found a heavy IH axle hub of some tractor and chained it to the back of the tractor. Put tires on it that are full of fluid as well. Moves round bales around just as well as my nephews 4020 JD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts