Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1952 my grandpa went and bought his one and only tractor in his lifetime. It was a Vac 13 with wide front and deluxe seat. He bought it and a set of 2x12 eagle hitch plows and a case drag disc that would go in and out of gear going forward, no backing up. He gave $1425.00 for the tractor. Later that year he bought a 7ft eagle hitch mower and the next spring a Ellis setter. In 1955 he bought a case stationary wire tie hay baler that ran off a Wisconsin engine . He and my dad baled hay for 15cents a bale. WE still have the plows and mowing machine and all the owners manuals for everything. Someday I hope to find one of the balers back. Shortly before his death we went to the barn to let the case run a few minutes and charge the battery up and he told me " This old case came on the farm February 12th 1952 and went through me and four boys were wore out and its still good."

This is my grandma shortly after he bought the Case

My aunt who was born in 1950.

Forward about 30 years got the case out just to take a ride

On to the mid 90's when dad [don32940] bought the tractor and equipment from grandma we brought it home went completely through it which is when dad met caseman and he got him to start taking it to shows.
The barn where it spent its life.

the day we brought it home.

The restore.

Dad me and my two sons.

Dad and his oldest brother.

One of his first shows.

The only thing any of us would change about it all would be for Grandpa to see how it turned out. Hope he would approve.

G

·
0 Posts
Quite sure he would approve. Y'all done a great job and thanks for the story behind it. Great memories for sure.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks Gordon it is 1 nice tractor and it being a CASE and I knowing your Dad I love reading about it and seeing the pictures. Thanks again

·
Registered
294 Posts
A great story and a great tractor!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Lots of memories about this old tractor. I was 12 years old when they brought the tractor in. My two brothers and myslef knew they were delivering the tractor and we ran most of the way from school. Problay the only tractors we had seen was a 10 20 international on steele and two of our neighbors had bought M T John Deeres. needles to say from that day on there was plenty of competion. We used this tractor unmercifuly throug four boys and when we left home Dad didn't have a whole lot to work with. After he passed away in 1985 it set in the barn for years but the last straw was when I went to visit my mother and the renters had pushed the old tractor outside and let it set and fill the head and piistons with water. It hurt me really bad and I asked my mother if she would sell the tractor to me so I could restore it to back to orginal condition. She said that she would not sell it to me but if I wanted the tractor because I would probaly be the only one that would have time to fix it up. So Gordon and his boys helped me get it to my house and in a period of about five years we got to where it is today. Our whole family, my brothers and sisters as well as my wife and children are very proud of it. Thanks to Gordon, and my grand children for all their supporrt and help in restoring "The old Case".

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did the water in the engine end up causing damage?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Yes Phil I had to replace the valvues vauvle guides and valvue seats plus regrind the chank and hone the sleeves. We really spent almost as much money on the engine as dad did the tractor when he bought it new but we don't regret any of that. Gordon found an orginal mufler for it and bought it for me Christmas. The old case sounds just like it did sixty years ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What a wonderful story and to have it centered within so many family stories is really special.

Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Without a doubt the most "sentimental" tractor in the barn, and always will be. In my lifetime we've made so many great memories with it, combined with all of those from it's appearance on my Great Grandpa Davidson's Farm to the experiences it will have with my family on the farm... well... needless to say I expect this old Case to outlast me. :lol: Thanks for sharing this again, Dad.

·
Super Moderator
8,043 Posts
Love the story and especially the old black and white pics. Similar happenings from childhood memories remain in my mind, and they are often a source for contentment and joy. That is one thing that all this modern society and commercial world cannot take from us that cherish family history and our love for the land.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much for the kind comments. Been alot of fun fixing and showing and made alot of good friends from it. Got to hear a lot of intresting stories when someone walks up and says grew up on one just like that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thats a really lovely story, thank you so much for sharing with us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts