Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 1953 NAA ford jubilee. The tractor runs well for about an hour. After that it starts to lose power and the engine starts skipping. Checked the timing and firing order. All seems correct. Runs and idles great when cold. I have replaced the points, rotor, condenser, distributor cap and cleaned out gas line and filters. I had tried to convert it to electronic ignition but swapped it back because i couldn’t get it running smoothly. It does have a history of going thru points quickly. Any advice onvwhat to check next or what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
Check the coil to see if it gets very hot after running awhile. If it has been converted to 12 volts make sure the coil has an internal resistor, should be stamped on the outside of it, or if no internal resistor you need a ballast resistor between it and the distributor. If there is no resistor in the system it is a good bet that is the cause of the repeated damage to your points

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Aren't they just wonderful little tractors? I just took ours for a short ride tonight at sunset. It was great! So fortunate to have this big toy in the collection! I don't have a answer for you but maybe the suggestion of the coil is correct. Sounds like something is getting warm?
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
check tank venting

Hi. I have a 1953 NAA ford jubilee. The tractor runs well for about an hour. After that it starts to lose power and the engine starts skipping. Checked the timing and firing order. All seems correct. Runs and idles great when cold. I have replaced the points, rotor, condenser, distributor cap and cleaned out gas line and filters. I had tried to convert it to electronic ignition but swapped it back because i couldn’t get it running smoothly. It does have a history of going thru points quickly. Any advice onvwhat to check next or what the problem may be would be greatly appreciated.
Make sure the fuel cap is venting properly and not causing a vacuum in the tank. Might be rare on old Fords, but I saw it a lot on heavy equipment. Take the fuel cap off as soon as it starts running bad and listen for a hiss etc as you remove cap, or see if it runs better afterwards.

Also on a 12 volt ignition system there should only be about 8 volts or less from the coil to the points. If I remember right. A full 12 v will burn the points. But it shouldn't cause it to run bad unless the points get burnt. In that case it won't run after it cools off, or at least it shouldn't. Old 12 volt vehicles with points had 2 sources of voltage to the points. When cranking 12 volts was fed to the points to aid in quick starts, in "run" position voltage would drop to protect the points. 6 volt systems didn't need the voltage drop.

All that to ask this. Did anyone ever have a tractor, especially 6 volt, that would start the second the starter was disengaged? I think it is because the starter is robbing all the voltage from the points. Dirty battery terminals will cause the same thing. crank but not start.

Any how enough said.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Whittreefarm,
I really like my Jubilee! Not sure I can help much with solving your issue? Almost sounds more electrical than fuel?? Welcome to the forum! Good folks here! Pictures are always welcome too!
I am getting ready to cut slab wood with my Jubilee hooked to the buzz rig.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Jubilee was doing the same thing, I replaced the points, rotor, cap, coil, distributor, and then rebuilt the carb. Each time I thought I had licked the problem but no, after a while it would start again, really a pisser! Even though I had rebuilt the carb I decided to replace it... that was it! Not only did it fix the problem but it improved the engine's overall performance substantially.

Also, make sure the ignition is always turned off completely otherwise your points will burn up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts