Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I took the 860 out for the first time after installing a new brush hog on it and ran into a little issue.

When I had the engine running, and in gear, while trying to engage the PTO with the lever, I could not get it to engage. When I move the PTO lever to the ON position, it would only make a nasty grinding noise and the PTO would not come on. I tried putting in neutral, and 1st and 2nd gear, but the PTO lever would not fully move and it would only grind.

Now, when I turn the tractor off, I can move the PTO lever to the ON position, start the tractor, and the PTO comes on. However, I cannot seem to get the PTO to engage while the tractor is on.

It will disengage when on, but not engage.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you pushing in the clutch before trying to engage the PTO?

IIRC, they are like the 8N and 9N in that they require you to use the clutch pedal before engagement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
RacerX is right. The clutch has to be depressed to engage the PTO.
And sometimes one has to start easing slowly off the clutch until the gears just move to get them to engage.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Slow the engine to idle and wait a few seconds for the gears to slow down and stop before putting into gear. Clutch may need adjusting. Push pedal down as far as it will go.

Thought I posted the above last night but my phone tells me now that it did not get posted. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses.

I tried your advice on easing the clutch out, and pushing the clutch all the way in.

Every combination wouldn't allow me to engage the PTO while the tractor was on, would just start to hear the grinding.

If I have the tractor off, push the clutch in, I can move the PTO lever freely, without any issues.

I am thinking the clutch may need to be adjusted...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I sort of did Scott. What I do now is take it to where I want to start mowing, turn it off, push in the clutch, engage the PTO, and start it back up.

I don't know why this is the case, but when it is off, I can move the PTO lever fully on, but when it's running I cannot and I get a grinding noise and vibration in the lever. I cannot physically move it to engage.

Honestly didn't want to force anything when doing this so I haven't tried many more times, it's not a kind grinding noise.

This works, I was able to mow for a few hours without a hitch, and it even disengages with the lever while on, it just won't engage while on.

The post you linked is helpful, but I don't think my situation is as bad as his was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts