Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peace, love, and cooperation to you!

Y'all might notice that this is nearly identical to the thread I posted about the 1949 John Deere MT that the same guy is selling.

I know literally nothing about tractors. Zip, zero, zilch. The sum total of my tractor ownership experience has been one used Craftsman lawn tractor that lasted one year before the mower deck fell apart, and one new Cub Cadet zero-turn lawn mower that I've had for a whopping 2 1/2 months.

I was raised in an area where nobody farmed. No one I know all that well has much understanding of farming, if any at all. I've grown vegetables and kept chickens for years but still feel horrifically ignorant about proper farming techniques, and I have a chance to pounce on a 1960 Ford 601 Workmaster that one of my neighbors is selling. He claims it's technically a 641 because it has a 4-speed transmission, but it says 601 on the front. It's not the "Select-o-matic" version or whatever the automatic transmission version was that he said you should never buy.

It looks to be in good shape, it runs, there are some new parts, and his price seems good when compared to others I've found online. He said that the only thing it needs is spindles for the steering mechanism, with the problem being that it's hard to steer currently.

It has a 4-cylinder gas engine and the hour meter shows about 1,200 hours (though I realize that they weren't really "hour meters" as much as they were a type of engine revolution counter). There is a 3-point hitch on the back with PTO. I'm reasonably handy with working on cars but still more ignorant than skilled. I don't mind a learning experience, I'm familiar with carburetors and antique cars (I've owned and put a lot of miles on a total of five "antique" carbureted vehicles and three more from the '80s) and I can drive a stick shift masterfully. The tractor has a wide front end.

To top it all off, my toddler son loves tractors, almost to the point of obsession. I have a feeling if I buy the thing, he'll be asking me to take him for rides every day no matter what the weather.

I'm reluctant to spend the money due to our income taking a huge hit from coronavirus, but if the tractor will do the job and be highly unlikely to lose value due to depreciation, I might pull the trigger because I trust the owner. My wife and I are both on board with really wanting to increase our self-sufficiency.

My first few questions would go something like this.

1) Complete the sentence: "You definitely should not buy this tractor if ___."

2) Could this tractor be used to do common farming tasks such as plowing, planting, disking (where I live, that's a verb anyway), etc?

3) Do modern 3-point-hitch farm implements fit a tractor this old easily, or would I have to go on the hunt for antique implements due to size differences between antique and modern 3-point hitches?

4) Fill in the blank: "You probably won't be happy trying to farm more than ____ acres with this tractor." (He told me his grandfather farmed 30 acres with a Ford 8N tractor, which he said is smaller.)

5) Are all parts easy to find, or is this tractor a pain in the butt to fix?

6) The tachometer needle appears to be broken. Is that an easy fix?

7) What would you say are the pros and cons of this tractor, compared to other same-size antique and modern tractors? (He said that tires are easier to find than they are for the John Deere he's selling.)

8) It appears to be in decent unrestored condition and he claims it's going to need tires, though the current tires do hold air. He says it's been converted to run on 12 volts. What would you say is the "definitely don't pay more than this for it" price?

Here's to another reduction in my ignorance. It's incredible how, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Nobody knows about this tractor, in spite of how popular it was in its day?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Out of the 3 tractors you have looked at as possible candidates, if I was looking
to put it to work, and it be my only tractor, this one will do more for you work wise than the
other candidates. More horse power and you will have an easier time finding equipment that fits it.
Here is a link to the data sheet on it, if you haven't looked at it already:
TractorData.com Ford 641 tractor information
I happen to like the old John deeres and Massey Harris, but if I was picking between the
3 and didnt have a tractor to do work with, and have the most versatility, this would be the one.
Otherwise, I would pick the one my Son seemed to like the most.

·
Super Moderator
8,033 Posts
I'd choose the Ford also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I was picking between the
3 and didnt have a tractor to do work with, and have the most versatility, this would be the one.
Otherwise, I would pick the one my Son seemed to like the most.
Thanks for the advice. Frankly, I doubt my son would care which one I got. His favorite color is green but if I got a blue tractor, he'd be thrilled that we had a blue tractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts