Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1962 4010 Diesel and the steering motor is leaking pretty good. I've ordered the replacement seals and been doing some research. Seems like there are two ways to go about fixing it: take off one of the side frame rails to get to the end plugs on the steering motor, or take everything off the top and take out the motor itself. I don't mind taking the front end apart but if there's a simpler way then I'm all for it. I also don't like the idea of working under a front end without some substantial supports if the axle needed to come off so I'm more inclined to work from the top if there isn't a better way.

How could I go about removing one of the side frame rails? I see that people do it but I'm not sure what it takes. It it possible to only remove the bolts that connect one side of the pivot bracket to its frame rail and then remove that rail without taking out the entire axle and pivot bracket? Seems like jacking up the front end to get the weight off of things but leaving the front axle under the front end (and bolted to the other side frame rail) would be easier and safer. Any thoughts?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts