Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1963 Ford 4000 Deisel 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1963 Ford 4000 and was surprised to find the tractor does not appear to have a parking brake. It looks like all that's left are a couple of teeth mounted on each side (near where the PTO dipstick is). I've looked around online and haven't found much on it for the 1963 Ford 4000. I'm hoping I can buy a kit. I have the 5 gear version and not the SOS so from what I've gathered online there is no Park like the SOS. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

· Registered
11 Posts
There are 'brake locks' which engage the teeth, and are activated by pulling upward on a rod. The brake locks on my '62 851 operate the same way (the rods for mine are sort of under the seat) . I am not convinced that they hold very well. I tend to stop and shut off the tractor and leave it in gear when I have to get off and do something. (I also need to adjust my brakes; that may help the situation)
Here's a link to your manual, if you don't already have it:

· Registered
1963 Ford 4000 Deisel 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 'brake locks' which engage the teeth, and are activated by pulling upward on a rod. The brake locks on my '62 851 operate the same way (the rods for mine are sort of under the seat) . I am not convinced that they hold very well. I tend to stop and shut off the tractor and leave it in gear when I have to get off and do something. (I also need to adjust my brakes; that may help the situation)
Here's a link to your manual, if you don't already have it:
Thank you. I ordered a manual, it's on the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts