Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have a 1963 JD 1010W with the backhoe. Local hydraulics shop to install quick disconnects so I can remove the backhoe to make the tractor more versatile for me. I need advice on the how’s and why’s of obtaining and installing a three point hitch setup - which I have zero knowledge of. All tips, pointers, recommendations most appreciated. Only need the 3ph for a small tiller.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The more research I do the more certain I am that I need a JD Expert to advise on 4 pt vs. 3 pt and compatibility between models.
Any advice most appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Hello Doug. Most tractors that are equipped with a backhoe from the factory have the rear lift and pto deleted.
Not sure how your tractor is configured, but both would be needed to run a tiller.
Most all parts would have to come from a donor tractor.
Not something that would be easily swapped from 3 point to backhoe on a whim.
Easiest would be to replace the transmission and rear with one that has the lift and pto on it.
That way it would have everything one needed. Just my opinion.
If it were me, and I used the backhoe with some regularity. I would buy another little tractor to run the tiller.
In my experience a tiller works best with a tractor that runs under 2 m.p.h. in first gear.
I've known several folks that bought a tiller then sold it because their tractor didn't run slow enough for it to work well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey BigDaveinKy, thanks so much! I had definitely considered the ‘get another tractor’ option but it will be a hard sell to the wife, as we need some sort of storage for the backhoe, haha.

The housing for the PTO is in place as are all the connection bolts for the hitch setup.

Once I get the “backhoe tasks” done, If the PTO works, removing the hoe and putting on a 3 pt hitch setup for the rest of the year would work for me. IF I could find one.

My son in-law has a compact Kubota with PTO, as does a neighbor. Since I will only need the tilling done twice a year tops, I should be able to cut a deal if the wife will be too unhappy if I buy another tractor to do it myself.

The 2 mph tilling speed tip is super valuable and I appreciate that very much.
Thanks again sir!
Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts