Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1970 farmall 140 belt pto

I am putting a belt pto on my farmall 140. I have recently gotten this tractor to running after it sitting in a barn for many years. It was used in the baccer patch for many years.

I ordered belt pto from 1 place and pinion gear from another for the farmall 140.
Belt pto has straight cut gears and the pinion gear has bevel cut gears.

I then ordered a straight cut pinion gear to match the belt pto.
I will post a picture of that straight cut gear shortly and some pictures as I install it.

I have been told the belt pto I got did not come on a farmall 140 but would fit.
It came from a super A, I believe.
Farmall 140 came with bevel cut gears, I was told.

It is a rainy day - a good day for working in the barn.
I will try to heat up that pinion gear today and slip it on the gear shaft.

Have any of yall installed a belt pto on a farmall 140? Any information to share?

·
Super Moderator
8,584 Posts
I wish I could help. I got my 140 in 1978, a 1961 model I think. It had a belt pulley on it. I ran a saw off the back of it for a few winters. No problems with it. I also have Super As with belt pulleys. I can measure them to.see if they are the same size but cannot speak about their gearing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the straight tooth gear on that matches the gear box. I expected the gear to go in till it was flush with the shaft but there is nearly a 1/4 inch left. there does not appear to be enough room in the back of the gear for it to go further. The gear box bolts all line up fine but the box will not fit over top of the pinion gear. For now I have put the cover plate over the pinion gear and the gearbox is back on a shelf waiting till I can figure this out. The gear box would fit if the pinion gear was not in the way by some amount.

Thanks for the help. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts