Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From planting time to the mature crop awaiting for the final harvest.

·
Super Moderator
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stephenscity said:
Thats a good looking crop. Sad that a piece of our countrys history is sloly disappearing. Thanks for the pics.
You are right about the history. There were lots of posts and comments on the old ATF about that and the gubbermint forced demise of the tobacco industry.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks Jim for reposting these pictures. I have been looking hard to buy American products and found that a lot of the chewing tobacco is imported but it doesn't say from where and why would the Gov't have a buy out program and then allow import tobacco be blended into US grown tobacco?????mike

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Thanks a lot for reposting, Jim. It is good to see at least some who are still able to try and make a living off of the crop now, as it's fading more every year up here. I'm with Betty... the flue-cured looks so different compared to what we're used to in central Kentucky.

·
Super Moderator
1,505 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Thats a good looking crop. Sad that a piece of our countrys history is sloly disappearing. Thanks for the pics.
It's the same here, memories are all we have left of a lot of things, they call it progresss, but in many cases, I don't think so.

·
Super Moderator
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gordon, I miss it too. It was hard, hot work but we had lots of good times working with friends and neighbors( we swapped help with another family). It was stressful, especially when worrying about the weather. If we saw a hurricane coming toward us, that really would out us on edge. One seemed to be always in a fighting mode. We fought bugs, costs of inputs, the weather, and the worst of all the last few years I grew it, the gubbermint. I survived until the bailout, then waved the white rag. I still miss it though. :roll:

·
Super Moderator
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mike1111 said:
Thanks Jim for reposting these pictures. I have been looking hard to buy American products and found that a lot of the chewing tobacco is imported but it doesn't say from where and why would the Gov't have a buy out program and then allow import tobacco be blended into US grown tobacco?????mike
Hey Mike, a feller that works for Reynolds Tobacco stopped by today to look at a piece of equipment that I was selling. We talked a little about Reynolds and the tobacco situation. Reynolds keeps downsizing and is planning another "workforce reduction." Mostly what they do is offer retirement incentives and seek volunteers. He said that the tobacco companies are trying to maintain profit margins in a shrinking market. They are selling less volume, thus need to produce less. He said that at some point the drop in demand will level off. Some people will always use tobacco. I guess blending US tobacco with improted tobacco is one way to cut costs, but if it reduces the quality of the product, looks like it would still not benefit the bottom line. :roll:

·
Administrator
3,958 Posts
I haven't raised any for ten years. I do miss it, after doing it most all my life.
I just got tired of trying to find help every year.

·
Super Moderator
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigDaveinKY said:
I haven't raised any for ten years. I do miss it, after doing it most all my life.
I just got tired of trying to find help every year.
That was becoming a problem for us too Dave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts