Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years of extra wet Summers we are in the midst of a drought.
33 days since the last rainfall in the middle of KY. (1.1") 41 days before that.
That day ended an eleven day period where seven inches fell.
The only thing keeping plants and weeds alive is what dew they can absorb.
The creek running behind my house isn't taking up much of it's bed, and flowing at a trickle of it's normal.
Folks have started feeding hay, which is scarce locally, and reducing herds.
No relief in sight as we're forecast to be dry and attempt high temperature records well into October.
Just wondering who else is having such conditions as Autumn arrives?

front yard sept. 26 2019.jpg creek sept. 26 2019.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am but I'm just down the road.
Turned cows into a couple of hay fields I was hoping to get another cutting from.
Still over 100 rolls shorts of what I need to feed thru a normal winter.
Some are already pricing 4x5 rolls of junk for $45-50, I'll sell down before paying that price.
Hoping we get some rain on the hay ground soon enough for some growth before frost.

·
Super Moderator
7,748 Posts
About the same as you Dave. It won't be long that my cows will need hay. We were wet till about June 20. Way below normal rain since then. July was dry till near the end of the month. Thunderstorms hit the same spots for days but missed us. August was dry till the end of the month. We got one inch on the last Saturday of the month. September brought the same hot, dry conditions. The earlier wet spots have now dried out. We have had .02 inch at the airport 2 miles away so far in September and 90 degrees today. Weather guessers are talking about cooler weather coming around October 4-5, but no mention of rain.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The U.S. Drought Monitor updated my area yesterday from moderate to severe.
Destroked is just around where the line changes on the map. Not sure exactly where he lives around Harned.
Doesn't matter.....dry is dry.
Destroked, my brothers that live near Union Star and Battletown have had a bit more rain than I have.
They are a little closer to the river than you....I'm guessing. That seems to help for summer rainfall in this area.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I actually live about 5 miles north of Garfield off of Hwy 86 going toward Union Star.
Seems like the rain follows the river, there's been several good rains in southern In just across the river traveling north east with the river.
Sounds like your brothers may have gotten the southern tip of some of those showers, wish they had extended 10 miles farther south to my farm.
They're saying on the news that we're going to break the record for the driest summer ever recorded.
We didn't get any of the 70% chance of rain earlier this week, now their saying maybe a slight chance mid next week, doesn't look good.
Was over at MIL's farm yesterday, moved cows into another hay field, two ponds are nothing but mud holes, two more are getting pretty low, open up the lot were they could get to the only spring on her farm but that's nearly half mile for them from the only grass they have.
I have a good well and set up a 300 gallon tank for my cows, MIL is on city water and they don't give ag discounts, also would only save cows a 100 yard walk to the spring so we'll see if the spring holds out, it's never gone dry yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,748 Posts
Great way to work with the environment to cope with a problem caused naturally, referring to drought. I gotta feeling if that were done on a large scale here in the US, the strong advocates of environmental protections would be loudly protesting. Cows, their flatulence, and what they leave behind are destroying the climate.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
High temperature records have been breaking around KY the past two days, and two more days of record breaking heat are forecast.
A cold front is forecast to move through Friday bringing an end to the heat. At least for a few days. No rain with it.
Rain showers are forecast for Sunday and Monday. I'll believe it when I see it. If it does rain, I don't think it will be a drought buster.
But , I'm hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
7,748 Posts
Yesterday's updated National Drought Monitor maps show increasing dryness across NC. No meaningful rain ahead in the 10 day forecast.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Somewhere near 2 1/2" of rain fell overnight in he middle of KY. Hard to read the gauge well until daylight.
Not enough to start filling the water table, but a good start to busting this drought.

Update: Daylight revealed 2.75" in the gauge. Another band building as it moves in before all is rained out. Hopefully another 1/4" will fall.
After the streak of hot weather ended Friday, the F word (Frost) was mentioned on the local weather this morning for sometime next week.

·
Administrator
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 3.1" of rain that fell over the past two days has effectively put an end to our drought.
Finally getting runoff from rain. I'm actually happy to see the creek run high and muddy this time.
First time the creek's feeder branch has had water running in it since July.
If it keeps running once the runoff subsides, then the ground water will be back about normal.
Just in time for our first freeze of the season.

·
Super Moderator
7,748 Posts
According to the latest drought monitor a chunk of western KY and us remain abnormally dry. Parts of NC are still in a moderate drought. Based upon the latest rainfall of the last few days I believe our status will improve on next week's update.

·
Registered
202 Posts
These last couple of rains have really helped, grass is turning green again just in time for the frost to hit.
Now if we can get a few warm days I may be about the cut enough hay for winter feed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts