Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm shopping around for a baler, and have an opportunity at a 224T. I know the "T" means it ties with twine, not wire, which is what I want. I've never baled before, so I'd like some expert help with making my decision.

Background: I plan on growing no more than 5-10 acres of hay per year. This will be a hobby to play with my tractors and keep The Wife's horses fed, plus sell some to hopefully break even or maybe make a little spending cash.

I currently own a long hood Model B. It has the Powr-Trol, but no 3 point hitch. That shouldn't be a problem since the balers I've seen pull from the draw bar.

I also own a modern 4300, classified as a "compact utility tractor." I use if for chores around the acreage and don't think I would ever farm any hay with it. I'll probably keep the hay farming to the B. If needed, though, the 4300 has about 30 hp. I'm not sure what a B is rated at.

The 224T I'm looking at does not have its own motor; it runs off the tractor PTO. Do you think the B would have enough power for this baler or is the tractor simply too small? I'm guessing if it did power it, I'd have to run in 1st gear. Your thoughts?

How about the 4300? Would it power this baler?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The B is about 12- 15 HP and wieghs around 3200 Lbs. , your 4300 Wt. is 3000. Lots to think about when baleing, are you going to pull a wagon behind the baler? How hilly is your land, Ive seen a wagon of hay push a Int. 444 tractor down a hill. No live power on the B and that can get tricky. I think I might run the baler with the 4300 and rake with the B. I would suggest getting some one that bales to talk to you about speed and hay conditions adjustments etc. I really enjoy baling when everything is working right.....

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
I don't believe a B is powerful enough to run a baler from the pto. (Under 20 h.p.)
Personally, I wouldn't use less than a 40 h.p. tractor to run a square baler.
The 30 h.p. would work if you make light windrows, but she's gonna grunt good.
Also a heavier tractor does better, as the baler plunger won't jerk it around as much.
And like Mike says if you want to run a wagon behind it, that makes a lot of weight when full.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The B does not have live power. It is a major pain trying to bale without it. I tried baling with my A hooked to a 12T baler. Had plenty of power, it just stunk if you wanted to stop at a clump to keep from choking the baler up. You have to clutch it, put in neutral, then engage the clutch again for the pto to work. Made for one long afternoon.

If you do choose to try it with the B, for safety sake go buy an overrun clutch to put on it. It will keep the baler from pushing you around the field.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We used to run a PTO driven square baler with an 8-N Ford, when the 8-N was about new. We didn't pull a wagon and the baler at the same time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I pulled a 27 IH baler with a Farmall B, never had a problem with it pushing the tractor. It had it's own engine so power wasn't a factor. I baled a lot of hay with a 430 IH baler behind a Farmall H, plenty of power, fairly flat ground. Plenty of power. Always run an overrunning clutch on a tractor without live PTO....James

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
ok ok do you mean a John Deere B? if so there around 27ish HP with no live PTO. it should do the job as long as ya start the PTO and get movin a few feet before ya get to the winrow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts