Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while mowing, my trusty 3000 just quit. No sputtering, no warning of any kind, just quit. Didn't want to hit while trying starter. I got off, walked around it, checked wires, etc. Got back up and it started back up. No problem since. Don't know if key somehow got turned off or coil wire was loose. My question is if it is a bad coil, (the old coil is nearly 20 years old that I know of and is pretty oily) do I get an internal restistor or not? Does anyone know the p/n of NAPA?

It is a 3 cyl.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
a 3000 is 12v. if you have ALL stock wireing, it uses a 6v coil, and has a resistor wire in line with it in the run position, and in the start position it gets full 12v to aid in starting.

by not checking the spark at the moment of stall.. replacing ANY ignition componet would be a shot in the dark.

thats why you ALWAYS check spark at moment of stall. if it ihas spark.. then it's fuel.

IF you wanted to repalce your coil,, AND it was the oem coil AND all your wireing is oem, then you would use a napa IC7

IF your wireing is NOT oem, and you are using a generic 12v coil, and NO resistor wire, then a napa IC14SB coil would be ok to use. ( if you put an ic14sb coil on an oem setup with resistor wire it may not run!!! )

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
PS since you did not do ANY diagnostics testing.. at this point.. just listenig to the observation you made. I'd be inclined to think it a fuel issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Ran the tedder and hay rake yesterday with no more issues. The Massey 12 will test it today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts