Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The best way is to cut it in half !!! We took torches, metabo and razor blades, extension cords, pry bars, Kubota with forks, an extra axle to put under the halves... and here it is ready to truck on down the hiway !!! After cutting in half and strapping to the axle you see on top, we had to wind around a tiny circle drive and up a driveway so steep and rocky a mountain goat would feel at home !! We backed the sections on the trailer until the axle bumped, then dropped the axle off and winched them forward the rest of the way.

Everything was bound with chains...the nylon tiedowns just added insurance for floppy stuff. The first half came up the hill and was loaded with the carriage assemble strapped to it. The other half came up with the underbelly reel. The cab assembly came up by itself and was set on top with the Kubota as well as the axle and frame used to transport the track assemblies.

Had to take the full crew for retrieval. Son and son-in-law, the Kubota and Old Blue, the trusty rusty '85 Ford.

This little trailer is made with the front axles of a '54 Ford truck...My much older brother and his oldest son built it 25 years ago. Through horse tradin back and forth I managed to end up with it. Probably a little overloaded with the Kubota, but it's always been used beyond its capacity....

G

·
0 Posts
I'm ready for a nap just readin how much work it was to hual that home :lol: :lol: Job well done. How soon will it get put back together and in workin order??? I'm sure there's a few other jobs on the top of your list before you get this one goin ;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
petra79 said:
I'm ready for a nap just readin how much work it was to hual that home :lol: :lol: Job well done. How soon will it get put back together and in workin order??? I'm sure there's a few other jobs on the top of your list before you get this one goin ;)
Oh yeah, there are a number of higher priorities...I'm just a sucker for a bargain, you know. I stumbled into an '08/'09 Galloway one lunger this week too...sometimes I just hate myself and this addiction.. :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: I ain't even had time yet to unload the blasted sawmill yet !!! :x :x

G

·
0 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Have to agree with ron I'm tired just reading this. You seem to have a nack at finding some really cool stuff :!: :!: :eek: :eek: :lol:
Think that might be an understatement :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EricR said:
Why is old Blue actually orange? :)
That's a good question that has an odd answer, Eric. See, a couple maybe three years back I put a one ton dually rear end under it and changed it to a flatbed. At the same time I had the block punched .030 over and slipped a little more aggressive cam in it with standard .030 over pistons. Of course I did the normal head work etc. Well when it was time to paint it, I went to the paint store and picked out the prettiest yellow on the chart because there is no a/c in it and I was thinking maybe the yellow would reflect the heat just a little. No head liner, no tinted glass, nothing relating to comfort at all.

Now this was a Friday night on what was forcasted to be the last mild and clear weekend for a while, so it HAD to be painted that weekend, or it'd be the following spring before it could be done. The store manager pointed to another counterman what color to shake up. Paid for the paint, and walked out the door. I still had some prep work (sanding and primer) to do and that took all day Saturday, no problem, Sunday would be paint day.

Opened the can and what's in there is this really bright ORANGE !!! Well, its Sunday and the paint store is closed, weather forcast is bad for the week, so it's time to turn Ol Blue into orange. Turns out the orange and yellow were one line of color above and below each other on the color chart and the second counterman misread the finger gesture of the first guy !!

So that's why Ol Blue is kinda orangish. Doggone it, shoulda been YELLOW, though...I always wanted a yellow truck.....

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Wendell ,when I really need a laugh I know who's post to read . This is good but not quite as good as the second verse to the same song. with big tree top & limbs handing I needed the laugh. Wendell you missed your calling ,you should write a book of stories . You got a way of making them sound so funny when they couldn't been funny when you did them or maybe to you they were. Thnks for sharing that .

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Miss Betty, one thing I liked about Wendell when we met is that he talks just like he types. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
You are so right Big Dave . I just love talking to him in person .When I read his post I can just see him telling it. Love the whole family .What a great family.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bettyp said:
You are so right Big Dave . I just love talking to him in person .When I read his post I can just see him telling it. Love the whole family .What a great family.
Awwww...shux, MissBetty and BigDave, you guys are making me blush !!! :oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you guys for the compliments !!!! :D :D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts