Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1964 ford 4000 industrial gas 4 speed non live pto. I'm having a hard time finding info on this tractor. I know its just an HD model but what is the difference in the two styles that ford came out with? The had one that had 3 headlights up front and one that didn't. Both classified as a 4000 industrial. Also how do I find the actual model of the tractor i'm looking at? The one i'm looking at has power steering 4 speed and pto. That's all I know about it right now. Is the pto on these a standard 540/1000 pto? I've seen some pics of the industrial pto and it looks different. I haven't looked at this tractor in person yet its 5 hours away. I'm trying to get some more info before making the drive. Are they good tractors? I really like the look of the 3 headlight model with the cast front end.

Thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks. I use tractordata.com a lot. I wish it had more detail. I asked the seller to send me a picture of the front of the transmission in hopes that I can match it up. I have both a 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder model so I will compare them side by side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm looking at a 1964 ford 4000 industrial gas 4 speed non live pto. I'm having a hard time finding info on this tractor. I know its just an HD model but what is the difference in the two styles that ford came out with? The had one that had 3 headlights up front and one that didn't. Both classified as a 4000 industrial. Also how do I find the actual model of the tractor i'm looking at? The one i'm looking at has power steering 4 speed and pto. That's all I know about it right now. Is the pto on these a standard 540/1000 pto? I've seen some pics of the industrial pto and it looks different. I haven't looked at this tractor in person yet its 5 hours away. I'm trying to get some more info before making the drive. Are they good tractors? I really like the look of the 3 headlight model with the cast front end.

Thank you
I have several of them. I would google Ford 4000 pictures and you will see several pictures. There is an 1801, 1861 and 4000. They have a very bad design regarding the fan. If you do not use the correct fasteners the fan moves forward and destroys the radiator. I bought one used with a backhoe and the fan moved forward and destroyed the fan After I took it apart I could see that the last mechanic did not use the correct fasteners. Also, it is very difficult to remove the cast iron grill if you want to work on the radiator/waterpump/fan. The bolts holding that cast iron grill are damned near impossible to hit. I came from underneath. I have been told that you can go through the frame but I came from below. Very tough job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts