Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on tightening up the clutch linkage in my "new to me" 420W. I lost all clutch function about 2 weeks ago and knew it had to be something in the linkage. I finally got around to splitting the tractor last Sunday and found that the yoke had slipped off of the adjustment cam that it pivots on (the shaft of the cam was worn and the snap ring missing). This is a fairly easy fix but as long as I'm in there I'd like to figure out why I have so much free travel in my clutch pedal, even after adjusting the cam all the way forward. I've adjusted the pressure plate fingers out to where they are supposed to be, moving them almost 3/16", so that will certainly help. What I question is the "felt washer" that is shown in my parts manual (part # m3633t), it is shown to mount between the carrier and throw out bearing. Mine certainly didn't have one when I disassembled it and I really don't see where it would fit in, the throw out bearing fits the carrier perfectly with no room for anything in addition. I've searched the part # and it doesn't seem to exist or have ever existed. It's a 1958 model, serial #1318xx, and it has the dual clutch for continuous running PTO. Can anybody help?

·
Super Moderator
8,343 Posts
If James Howell sees this he will have the answer. No disrespect meant towards any other members here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim, I'm not particular about the guidance I get at this point but some experience would be helpful.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Take a look at the diagram below.

Note the grease fitting (Key 48).
Pure speculation on my part, but the grease fitting is installed on the carrier.
The felt washer is designed to keep the grease within the carrier.
The carrier, felt washer and throw-out bearing are installed on the sleeve (Key 16).
You might consider contacting McMaster Carr for availability.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jim in NC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a look at the diagram below.
View attachment 21850
Note the grease fitting (Key 48).
Pure speculation on my part, but the grease fitting is installed on the carrier.
The felt washer is designed to keep the grease within the carrier.
The carrier, felt washer and throw-out bearing are installed on the sleeve (Key 16).
You might consider contacting McMaster Carr for availability.
Hope this helps.
Thanks James, I appreciate the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts