Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this guy tonight. Anything anyone can tell me about it. Has some extra seed plates with it. Any way to tell what each are for. How's about a free PDF downloadable manual site. Will take all the info I can get. Never had a planter before so any info is good info.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Oh My goodness ........... On the first pic I thought I saw John Deere written on that planter ???????????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bettyp said:
Oh My goodness ........... On the first pic I thought I saw John Deere written on that planter ???????????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep Betty its true. I finally own something made by John Deeere.....................

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What could I plant this fall?? Remember I'm pretty new to all this farming,gardening stuff.....

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Talk about handy with a big garden. Glad you got it. If you have some corn seed left you are going to use drop one in the slot and see if it fits. The main thing is to be sure it don't break the kernel when it goes through. Put some in each hopper and just let it down just enough for the wheels to drive it and you can see how close it is planting the seed and if any are being broke. I think Ky Wonder made a video on setting one up and posted on this site. Don't think it was a John Deere but they all work pretty much the same. On all I've ever used you move the chains to different cogs to set the distance you want to plant but my guess is its going to be pretty close right now. We plant both corn and beans with ours.

·
Registered
530 Posts
bettyp said:
Don't worry Betty some ford red paint can cover than nasty JD tag, anyway it's always nice to see a ford pulling a deere.

Kirk

Boy OH Boy set my foot in that didn't I Kirk :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gordon1121 said:
Talk about handy with a big garden. Glad you got it. If you have some corn seed left you are going to use drop one in the slot and see if it fits. The main thing is to be sure it don't break the kernel when it goes through. Put some in each hopper and just let it down just enough for the wheels to drive it and you can see how close it is planting the seed and if any are being broke. I think Ky Wonder made a video on setting one up and posted on this site. Don't think it was a John Deere but they all work pretty much the same. On all I've ever used you move the chains to different cogs to set the distance you want to plant but my guess is its going to be pretty close right now. We plant both corn and beans with ours.
Thank you Sir. Great info to start me out. I do have some corn and bean seed left over so I should be able to try it out. Right now we're expecting up to 3 days of rain so I may not get to check things out right away.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a little break in the rain and got a few more pictures.

Obvious that its been converted to 3 point.

What is this adjustment for??? Seed depth?

Tubes in case I want to set up some fertilizer.

Is this the new style JD idler chain hose :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a 494a back in the 80's. The 494a and and 494an was a 4 row planter, I'm not sure the difference betwen the A and the AN. They had a gearbox that gave you 3 speeds and several driven gears to change population. I have heard several 4 row planters have been cut down to 2 row. Looks like to change population on yours you can change sprockets off the press wheel drive. Are your plates plastic or metal? If you give me the numbers on the plates I can give you the size seed they plant.....mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mike1111 said:
I had a 494a back in the 80's. The 494a and and 494an was a 4 row planter, I'm not sure the difference betwen the A and the AN. They had a gearbox that gave you 3 speeds and several driven gears to change population. I have heard several 4 row planters have been cut down to 2 row. Looks like to change population on yours you can change sprockets off the press wheel drive. Are your plates plastic or metal? If you give me the numbers on the plates I can give you the size seed they plant.....mike
Thanks Mike
Plates are all plastic - LUSTRAN
Got 3 sets with them.
B2-24
B5-24
B6-24

No extra sprockets came with it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't know much about the jd planters but I would think you would need some kind of tenioner/sprocket somewhere on the chain. The jd guys should be able to tell you more.
Good luck with the planter.You've got a lot of time to get it ready for spring planting.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking that as well. Didn't see anything that looks like there was an idler type sprocket??

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Most likely got removed in the conversion, and the hose was handy, at the time. :roll:
Anyway, you're building your implement list pretty good, just find a good disc and you'll be in good shape. ;)
Then a buzz saw, pond scoop,................ :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BigDaveinKY said:
Most likely got removed in the conversion, and the hose was handy, at the time. :roll:
Guess I didn't think of that since I'm not familiar with these. It may have been part of the pull. I might try to find some good pictures of one and see what I can find.
The 3 point conversion is another topic all itself. We backed a tractor up to it to unload and the rear tires will hit the markers when the 3 point is still about 12" away :? :? Guess the tractor this was used on had a lot smaller stance on the rear tires. They must have been alot narrower???
I'll either have to put my spacers on my rears and adjust all the way out and hope it's far enough or have a winter project of re-fabbing the hitch. Either way it gives me something to keep busy with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The B2 plate is a a corn plate for Medium Round seed, B5 is Large Flat corn seed and the B6 is for small medium flat corn. I have a 1240 planter now and they use the same planter units as the 494 and I think I use the B3 plate for my sweet corn but if I had the B2 plate I would use that , seems sweet corn seed is smaller than it use to be, maybe because its dried faster in a drier and what I remember was dried on the cob? Hope any of this helps.....mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mike1111 said:
The B2 plate is a a corn plate for Medium Round seed, B5 is Large Flat corn seed and the B6 is for small medium flat corn. I have a 1240 planter now and they use the same planter units as the 494 and I think I use the B3 plate for my sweet corn but if I had the B2 plate I would use that , seems sweet corn seed is smaller than it use to be, maybe because its dried faster in a drier and what I remember was dried on the cob? Hope any of this helps.....mike
Thanks Mike. I'm gonna print this out and hang it in the shed. Much appreciated :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good thought Kirk. Thanks for the info........
Still curious as to the model number. Mine has the AN - haven't seen another with the N yet. Kinda wonder what that means.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts