Antique Tractors Forum banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts
G

·
Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, I was hoping to see some pics of it all painted today :cry: :cry: :cry: Good luck weather wise and get r done.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
and because you asked.. here they are :)

front rims are painted and donw, and i put them back on so I could roll the tractor backwardsd.

rear rims are primed, but not painted.

took 2 coats of primer to cover good.. first coat went on a lil too thin for my tastes..

chassis is painted, all sheet metal is painted.

since pics were taken, I went back outside and put on the air cleaner, put ign coil back on and hooked up spark plug wires, also strapped gas tank back down, and installed a new plastic capilary line to the oil pressure gauge... also installed belt pulley partially..

have not plumbed any fuel lines or even installed the tap.. still got a brass plug in the bottom of the tank.

put some vasolene on the front tires to help clean em up.. looks good.

ended up going with galvanizing paint on the rims.. rears will get done wednesday.

got my decal set via ups today.. when i went out to walk the dogs at 8:30pm it was by the fence.

still plenty of work to do. will be swapping the steering wheel out I think, and remounting the belt pulley. just have it on hand tight to check fit.. still got to do gas line and linkages to carb, as well as bleed and dink with oil press line.. need to reinstall all brackets for tin, and the tin itself, and battery.

have a lower bracket for a oem generator and will adapt it to the gm alternator i came up with.. will fab up a top bracket somehow... then need to re-wire her. i firsee friday being a busy day. might get decals on them.. maybee not

plan to use a foam roller in black paint to go over some of the raised casting words ( case ) to bring them out, as well as trans shift pattern.

already painted the rear um.. deck / drawbar home - brew bracket aft of the pto.

need to find an assorted bag of 1/4" hardware I had left over from my ford 4000 hood remount, and will use that for new fasteners for the tin on this one.

used BBQ black hi temp paint on the stack and manifold. used gloss black on the air cleaner.. oem would have been the flambeau red.. but i saw a few pics of them black, and I liked it.. plus it came black, and looked good anyway..

that's all for tonight.. and i work a double tomorrow.. so no update till wednesday eve.

oh yeah.. put a rain cap on the stack and got rid of the food can up there.. :)

G

·
Very impressive my friend. Lookin at the hood on the 3 post reminds me of some kind of robotic cartoon creature :lol: :lol: She's gonna look really sweet once she's all back together. Patiently waiting.............................................................Not :cool:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I tried another paint this time, probably not going to use it again.. dry time was loooong.. much longer than I'm used to with some of the newr paints I've been using... had to leave the parts out much longer than I wanted to for safe handling.. in any event.. everything turned out ok.

this morning, while feeding the horses, i jacked up the rear in prep to remove them big shoes. already had the fronts off and now back on.

probably get to them wednesday, as i work a double today.

G

·
missouri massey man said:
Superb progress....you MUST be a young man !!! (below 60)
Soundguy?????????? He's just a pup. But a darn smart, strong, hard workin, good lookin pup :cool: Oh and he's one heck of a good guy ;)

Looks real good Chris. Itchin for the rest.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
my wife might argue about the good looking aprt, I kinda look like the drummer for the kentucky head hunters.... :)

I'm a few behind ron.. as as for good people, You just heard from one. Ron's for sure one of the best people I've met on the internet or in person. Got a good family, great kids, even had the honor to speak to some of his family on the phone before.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What size are those rear tires?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
11.2-28 i'm pretty sure.

when I saw em I thought.. heck.. the fronts will fit my farmall C ( 5-15 ) and the rears will fit a huge handfull of my fords. The tires were worth the entire purchase price of the tractor... couldn't loose on that one.. coulda bought it.. took tires off, and then sold the tractor for scrap and made 2x the money i'll make off it flipping it.. :) heck.. has a new battery in it too! that's gotta be worth 60$ too.. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
IMO the larger than original rears improve the look.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
see.. this is how little i know about the vac.

what would original tire and rim size have been?

and if not original rims.. what other modle might these be off of. centers and frogs look correct.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
ps.. not having another case to compair too.. is the paint suposed to be that dark of an orangy color?

i know it's flambeau red.. etc..

I used a different paint I'm less familiar with this time. kinda regret it.. but it's bought, paid for and shot.. so.. :)

have always shot alkyd enamils, and lately stepped into acrylic modified enamils, even tried synthetic enamils recently. REALLY liked those in SS syn.. fast dry and all.. but a tad spendy... used a plain enamil out of the nason line.. not a syn enamil, and i don't think I like it as good as the valspar enamil.. likely won't use it again.

anyway.. back to the question.. had to use a paint code match on the enamil.. so it was a shot in the dark as to if it was a correct mix shade.. again.. no other real JI case experience to comapir too.
it's darker and redder or browner? then the persian orange my allis chalmers are painted in.. etc...

soundguy

·
Registered
294 Posts
soundguy said:
I'm sure the rims are original, tires would have been 10x28. Closest now is 11.2x28. I've been wondering if even 12.4 would work on the original rim. To me the 10x28's seemed to make the rear sit low, taller tires look better to me on the VAC.

The paint in the pictures looks like Flambeau Red to me.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
petra79 said:
missouri massey man said:
Superb progress....you MUST be a young man !!! (below 60)
Soundguy?????????? He's just a pup. But a darn smart, strong, hard workin, good lookin pup :cool: Oh and he's one heck of a good guy ;)

Looks real good Chris. Itchin for the rest.
Ahhhhhh Ron, but energy is wasted on youth and wealth is wasted on the aged.....ancient Missouri proverb... I'd just like a combination of BOTH and I don't have EITHER !! Of course the young'uns around ATF ain't wasting their energy, they're a puttin it to good use making rusty things shiny !! :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
CTPhil said:
soundguy said:
I'm sure the rims are original, tires would have been 10x28. Closest now is 11.2x28. I've been wondering if even 12.4 would work on the original rim. To me the 10x28's seemed to make the rear sit low, taller tires look better to me on the VAC.

The paint in the pictures looks like Flambeau Red to me.

11.2-28 and 10-28 are the same tire. different naming method.

yes, a 12.4 will set on a rim made for an 11.2

soundguy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good to know. Nothing gained in height by going with 11.2.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.