Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks - new guy here

Just bought a 53 Jubilee for the family farm like the one we had when I was a kid (I'm 51 now). The fella I got it from was not too handy and couldnt get this thing to work well.
Before I go and mess around, I would like some opinions from smart folks like your selves.

The tractor starts, runs and idles just fine.....but bogs down under load and backfires if I try to do work.

if you look at the attached picture, I think he has the distributor: wrong firing order (1234) and also backwards(CCW) vs. (1243) and (CW).....(maybe its a miracle that it runs this way?)

thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised it runs at all. Your story is similar to mine. I bought a 1962 851 a couple months ago. Would run, but backfired a lot. I ended up rebuilding the carb, and doing a full tuneup, including starting with setting basic timing. That's all it took.

·
Administrator
4,746 Posts
I would do what Carson suggested. Starting with basic timing and new points, plugs, and condenser. (and wiring check)
If you can find a auto parts store that sells Standard Motor Products brand (also known as Blue Streak) I've found they last many many hours longer in my old tractors than what one gets from dealers and aftermarket Ag suppliers in today's market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello all

I reworked the distributor and wires yesterday - points and gaps are all fine
set cylinder 1 to 8 degrees BTDC and twisted the distributor until I got a spark

after a tiny bit of further adjustment, it runs perfectly!! I pulled a small stump to test it - wheels dug right in - plenty of power

thanks to everyone for the help!

its hard to believe that it even ran the way it was set up.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts