Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My dad and I have been trying to get an old 1954 Allis CA running that has been sitting in our barn for ~15 years. Originally we were dealing with a seized motor but after taking the head off and a lot of persuasion that problem was fixed.
After reassembly the motor turns over great but will not start even with starter fluid. After taking out the plugs and trying to start the tractor it seems to be that there is no spark. Before going and checking all the wires and distributor and stuff, I zeroed in on the little box that has the battery ampere gauge, keyhole, and a small switch that I believe you are meant to pull out to turn on the lights. I have never actually ran this tractor myself so i'm not sure, but my dad seems to think that there will be no spark unless this switch is pulled out. However it seems to be seized in place really hard and despite some fluid and both of us trying to get on it with a pair of vice grips nothing seems to be working. Before I go any further I just wanted to ask the experts if this switch does need to be pulled out to start and if so if anyone has any ideas for getting it unstuck before I go and buy a new one.

·
Administrator
4,025 Posts
A CA with a magneto ignition had a push-pull (grounding) switch and one with a battery ignition ( coil & distributor) had a key switch from the factory.
My opinion it would be best to check the wiring and see where things go.
Previous owners sometimes have a habit of changing things to cheaper or more convenient alternatives.
If equiped with lights, the light switch operated seperate from the ignition switches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts