Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Stopping by my much older brothers place to help him move a couple heavy parts around netted a few pics of his current project. See, he is retired AND apparently independently wealthy judging by the price tag on the parts to put this old dog back in tip top shape !!! This is a '56 Farmall 400 Propane and everything is going in new. Seals, bearings, clutches in the torque amplifier, gaskets you name it !! He's done with the motor, total overhaul, pistons, rings, valves, valve springs, bearings...if it rotates and has a wear spot it has been replaced.

I didn't have the camera with me last time when he had it totally disassembled, front end on a super stand he built out of an "I" beam and scaffold jacks, torque amplifier on the horses and the rear end rolled back. Never seeing the inside of a torque amp before, I was amazed at the stuff inside that cotton-picker !!!
It took a while to get bearings and seals and gaskets, but it's all new now and reassembled. He never did learn how to short cut...everything he does is top notch!!

The rear end now serving as a tool holder....

While the hydraulic system and the propane mounting brackets and tank are removed, it is a perfect time to paint what will not be accessible later.

Pto completely redone, new gaskets and seals, mounted and ready for the paint gun.

Hydraulic reservoir and control valves. Sorry the picture cut off the top showing the valve handles. This is one of the pieces I had to help him move.
This cotton-pickers gotta weigh in at a hundred pounds plus..we were just a grunting and wobbling all over the place moving this without scratching it up!!!

Can't see the shifting lever too good, but you can sure see the other side of that boat anchor of a hydraulic reservoir !!!

I told him we have a guy on the forum (Dave2n) that could cut this propane tank apart and make a beautiful fire pit, but for some reason, he did NOT take
kindly to that suggestion...I think he'd a run me off if I hadn't stopped by to give him a hand !!!

That huge tank sits lengthwise to the tractor and really is gonna be the focal point at first glance. Interesting sidebar is the handy dandy two wheeled wood
hauling cart he uses to move wood back to the wood furnace with... quite an innovative individual, he is for sure. I think he got all the good looks AND brains !!

I know this is the Farmall-International forum...and I KNOW some of you are gonna want to hang me by the thumbs but I can't IMAGINE me working on a Farmall when there is a PERFECTLY GOOD MASSEY needing some attention... :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, maybe I'm kidding just a little...

It looks a little bit different now that its all red.

A shot from the other side...

The Ensign propane carb is looking good, and.....it passes propane just as good as it looks too !!

All the rear end parts, pto, torque amplifier, clutch and all the rest have been gone through, new seals, bearings, etc etc prior to assembly and paint.

He used electrolysis to remove the rust from all these little parts...now hanging here primered waiting for their red paint job. Today, it's happening.

Parts, parts and more parts. Good thing he's got a good memory.

...Coming up in the world now that he's got his Propane 400 on the path to recovery, he was wanting a suitable place to sit, so how's this for a hi-chair ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
Enjoyed the pics and talk with it . but most of all loved the stool .I think i could set and wach from that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,970 Posts
Wendell your brother's got it looking good. Always a good feeling to get one going in the back togather direction. Your not going to beleave this but I'm fixing the same chair for my father in law out of the old pan seat we took off his 100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gordon1121 said:
Wendell your brother's got it looking good. Always a good feeling to get one going in the back togather direction. Your not going to beleave this but I'm fixing the same chair for my father in law out of the old pan seat we took off his 100.
Heck yeah...there isn't a good reason for not making a shop seat out of them....you never know when MissBetty will stop by for a visit and she'd then have a special place to park it for a while. :lol: :lol: I've got a JohnDeere seat just waiting for her to stop by and sit a spell.... :D :D Why I may even dig up a second one off of a JohnDeere and make a 'love-seat' for her and Henry !!! They are easy to find Gordon, JohnDeeres are broke down all over the place up here in Red Tractor country . :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
missouri massey man said:
gordon1121 said:
Wendell your brother's got it looking good. Always a good feeling to get one going in the back togather direction. Your not going to beleave this but I'm fixing the same chair for my father in law out of the old pan seat we took off his 100.
Heck yeah...there isn't a good reason for not making a shop seat out of them....you never know when MissBetty will stop by for a visit and she'd then have a special place to park it for a while. :lol: :lol: I've got a JohnDeere seat just waiting for her to stop by and sit a spell.... :D :D Why I may even dig up a second one off of a JohnDeere and make a 'love-seat' for her and Henry !!! They are easy to find Gordon, JohnDeeres are broke down all over the place up here in Red Tractor country . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wendell you were doing so good talking about John Deere seat and a love seat for Henry and I. But Wendell you forgot where to big the period and then you open your mouth again And said John Deere 's broke down all over the place up here in Red Tractor Coutry . :? :? :? :? :?
What kind of statement is that :?: :?: :?: :?: Those John Deere broke down doing all the work that all those red tractors couldn't do :?: :?: :?: :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wendell I think it would be a great treat to have one of those John Deere seat and hang out with your lovely Family. :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, MissBetty, you SURE put me back in my place...nose in the corner and all !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I just read your comment to Mary and she laughed and laughed and said I got what I deserved...You lady-folks stick together even with three states between you !! Us men don't stand a chance, do we ?? You got me good, yes ma'am, you got me GOOD. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
missouri massey man said:
Wow, MissBetty, you SURE put me back in my place...nose in the corner and all !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I just read your comment to Mary and she laughed and laughed and said I got what I deserved...You lady-folks stick together even with three states between you !! Us men don't stand a chance, do we ?? You got me good, yes ma'am, you got me GOOD. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Mary. Wendell you guys are allright. Great bunch of guys on ATF ,to let this old lady walk around there post. I relly enjoy it . I feel Bless to be treated so nice by all .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
bikerdave said:
I don't think I need to defend Betty, seems she can take care of herself!! :lol: :lo
Biker Dave , don't go to far away ,you never know when I may need to be inflated up again :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :? :? :lol: :lol: :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bettyp said:
missouri massey man said:
Wow, MissBetty, you SURE put me back in my place...nose in the corner and all !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I just read your comment to Mary and she laughed and laughed and said I got what I deserved...You lady-folks stick together even with three states between you !! Us men don't stand a chance, do we ?? You got me good, yes ma'am, you got me GOOD. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Mary. Wendell you guys are allright. Great bunch of guys on ATF ,to let this old lady walk around there post. I relly enjoy it . I feel Bless to be treated so nice by all .
You, MissBetty, may walk around on anyones post at anytime !!! It is nice to get a "ladies perspective" on things, (even if the lady IS looking through green tinted glasses...Maybe one day I'll find some with a red tint and ship 'em to you via Federal Express...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok Wendell,I'll try the red tinted glasses ,sent them on and I'll try to think postive about things. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: bettyp
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top