Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What do you think??? Should I save it or junk it ?? It's freebie, all I gotta do is go get it...about 1000 yards from where I'm setting now. Of course there are several others bequeathed to me too. One of the '57 Fairlanes has a 312 v-8 with a couple bullet holes in the block. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
3M,
Ok I will bite on this one too. I had a 55 Crown it was close to this condition when I drug it home. Very similar in construction. Wow, with lots of time and money anything can be done. I have seen worse brought back too. I would maybe part it out? Its a four door, not the most desirable body. I am a Ford man but most folks are working up the Chevys. The old Fords were left to rot in the woods. Will be interesting to see what moves you make on this? The bullet holes in the 312 are not a plus:(
I haven't helped much. Glass for this would be $1000, body work $4000.Running gear and engine $4000. Paint $1000. tires $600. interior $3000. These are ball parks I am sure you have looked at some of the numbers. Not a project for the weak of heart! But I love to see these old Fords come back to life! There just not out there like the chevys and really turn heads! Cherry red, Crager mags.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Hard to say but if you don't you'll find one a month from now that needs a winshield back glass front door and fender (driver side). Who am I kidding heck yea I'd bring it home if for no other reason than to dye my hair black comb it straight back set behind the wheel and do my best Roert Mitchem flicking a cigarette out the passenger window at the G man. I'd get the one with the 312 also if for nothing else than for the thunderbird valve covers.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Owwww !!! Chris, those numbers make me hurt !!! It would be a shame to junk it and no matter what happens, I won't do that. My bother had a pristine '56 Fairlane back in the late 50's and a little later I had a beat up '58 with no first and no reverse. A buddy of mine in the Marine Corps had a 57 with a 312 and a special intake with (3) two barrel carbs and 3 speed on the floor. May just drag it home, tarp it up on some blocks and think about it for a while.

Gordon, I got a visual on you acting like Robert Mitchum and it's pretty funny !!! If I ever get it running, I'll drive it to Berea to film you running moonshine in the trunk....so get your hair dye ready !!!! Modern day "THUNDER ROAD" ....just watch out for the electric substation on the curve.

·
Administrator
4,283 Posts
Would be an ambitious project. Too bad it's not a Skyliner. That would definitely worth restoring.
I missed out on one when I was in college. Lady had a '57 Ford for sale for $300. I went to look and it was a Skyliner.
Told her I would be back within the hour with the money, got back 45 minutes later and the car was gone.
Wasn't real happy about that.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
3M
Wasn't trying to scare you with numbers, but realistically I probably only hit about 50% of the total:) Hey this would make a great rat rod. Don't do anything with the body. Save those bucks for a Big high performance engine and drive line. Tuck some big fat tires under the back on chrome rims. Fix the side windows or just drive on good days:). Throw a blanket over the seats and head her right down main drag. I want to see this 57 on the road! Its growing on me:) Some days I do miss the little 55 Crown. What the hell was I thinking to sell it. One of those kick your self moments:)
Bring the 57 home!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Ode to the 57 FORD

The 57 just sat there begging to be saved
The trees grew up beside, providing some shade

The price was right and parts cars were listed too.
How could you pass up a dream come true?

Bring it home they said, it can set up on blocks
it just needs windows, some tires and all four shocks

A little chrome work to catch the eye
several coats of paint from the local body shop guy

Wouldn't it be great to save another four door?
Ford just don't make em like that anymore.

The body's not bad for its time in the woods
We can see a big "Y" block rumbling under the hood.

A labor of love they call this type of machine
I vote for red, not purple or green

Its lines tell a story from fins to head lights
begging for attention as it leans to the right.

It would look good in the yard but the neighbors might talk
you'd have the last laugh when you made those big red lines squawk.

The 312 would purr and then jump a bit
as you blipped the throttle and kept tuning it

Hope it comes home soon to be lined up with your toys
It could make a great gift and sure would make lots of noise!

Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Wendell I'm going to be serious this time and believe me that comes hard for me. ;) I don't know what the rest of the car looks like but it looks to good to be left to rot or be crushed. One thing I'm sure of is once there gone there gone. I cant stand to see a old car meet the crusher and that one looks way to good for that. When I was growing up we always went to the junk yard rather than the parts house and I always loved walking up and down the rows taking them all in. I used to climb in them and sit down and just take them in and wonder what type of stories they could tell. I grew up laying under old cars trucks and tractors. Love them all. I would deffinately bring that one home never know just what you might find to go with it and besides I think would look good in your remake and at the end you could say "Mountain boys wild blooded and death foolish." :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am totally IMPRESSED with the quickness of your poem writing, Chris. How appropriate too. How did you know I had three FE series 460's in the lean-to just waiting to be dropped into a worthy project ?? I'm seeing the 'rat-rod' in the back of my mind this very minute.

Gordon, I'm there with you on the 'hard to be serious' notion. It's a difficult task for me too !! We rented a few acres to a fellow back in the '60s that ran a junk yard. I'd go through every new wreck that came in as soon as it dropped off the wrecker and find small change, an occasional screwdriver and sometimes hit the jackpot and find a good wrench or hammer for my growing tool collection. Now, this was when I was only 9 or 10 and I too would win many races sitting in a junkyard car with no wheels or windshield blowing the doors off the competitors !!!!! What a hoot that was, of course when I'd get caught 'racing' instead of in the woodshed splitting wood for the winter I'd get a little talking to.....

Chris, are you and Gordon ganging up on me to talk me into taking on yet another project !!!???? .....its working :lol: :lol: :lol: I gotta go back and reread the poem now....

·
Registered
906 Posts
I missed something, what's a 460 FE? I thought the biggest FE was a 428. Different from a 429/460.
I would love to have that 57 restored and repowered with a late 302. Too bad it would cost the same as a Victoria 2dr hdt to restore so it would be a money losing to restore, but a rat rod? Might be onto something there. :D :D

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
3M,
Hope this works out for you. I know one thing we just dont see bodys that good around here ever!!! To much salt and rust. most were junked by the mid 60's. Plus all the cars of that era were potential rust buckets , just the nature of the beast. The front fender lookks awsome. the doors not bad, and the rear fender looks good too the roof looks OK. So give us some more details. Never know could be another poem in there somewhere too:)
We need more pictures. And of the parts cars too!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bikerdave said:
I missed something, what's a 460 FE? I thought the biggest FE was a 428. Different from a 429/460.
I would love to have that 57 restored and repowered with a late 302. Too bad it would cost the same as a Victoria 2dr hdt to restore so it would be a money losing to restore, but a rat rod? Might be onto something there. :D :D
I may be mistaken, but I thought the FE category for the big block Fords included 428/429 and 460. I just build a 460 for my '85 Ford a couple years ago to .030 over with a mild cam for more low end torque (for logging) and was pulling that information out of my memory bank. Of course, my 'bank' could have been 'robbed' a bit due to the ravages of time Dave......

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sugarmaker said:
3M,
Hope this works out for you. I know one thing we just dont see bodys that good around here ever!!! To much salt and rust. most were junked by the mid 60's. Plus all the cars of that era were potential rust buckets , just the nature of the beast. The front fender lookks awsome. the doors not bad, and the rear fender looks good too the roof looks OK. So give us some more details. Never know could be another poem in there somewhere too:)
We need more pictures. And of the parts cars too!
Regards,
Chris
You're killing me Chris !!!! I wasn't expecting this much response over a rotten, rusted out and bullet-ridden four door '57 !!!! I promise as soon as I finish my bathroom remodel, I will get over there and shoot some pictures of the whole car and whatever else she wants me to drag out...(I've already got a '65 Galaxie 500 sitting by the woodpile, compliments of the same lady).

That particular one is too far gone, only good left is some dash pieces, a fender or two, a lot of chrome strips and lettering, hubcaps, headlight bezels and taillight assemblies. I think somewhere I posted some shots of it already to see if there was any interest in it before stripping it down.

MrsMassey is already yelling in the background that maybe we could meet halfway between here and your place so you could have the pleasure of owning the '57 yourself....but....I NEVER listen to her anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Ouch! I don't want one that bad, just like to see others toil, as I have, over rusted hulks of steel! I think it will look fine next to the 65 Gal. Its RAT rod material for sure they would probably pay good money for that shell.
We had a 66 Gal, Uncle had a 65 Custom another had a white 65 gal with a 390. They just did not last long:) No you better keep this 57:) I am OK with the WD.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
312 Posts
57 Ford's are forever. If you can manage! SAVE IT!

Does not have to be stock-- or "rat-rod"

Put it together your way

Drop any decent running--decent power engine that you can find into it! 352's were bolt ins.

If you dig through my photobucket pages into vehicles you will find a picture of a 57 wagon.

That one had an ATTITUDE 390! ------ (427 cam -- big valves -- lots of time in heads playing with abrasive devices etc.

Spray can primer --is cheap, prevents rust, and gives you a decent look while deciding on the rest!

If you put large tires and a decent engine in it; you will have to flatten the seam in the rear wheel wells!

We chewed a set of tires on the 57 before we learned that trick! I flattened them with a large hammer.

Good Luck and Pictures of progress please.

Many years ago there was a kid at Devils Lake ND that had the Crestliner (4 dr) like that with a 534 truck engine in it! I saw it run never gat a chance to drive it! Pretty wild!

I can NOT get the new photobucket to cooperate with me; sorry everyone.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the sounds of that old '57 you are describing ralbuck, but I don't think this one will ever be quite that sweet. I can dream, though.... :cool: :cool:

So, I've decided: Its going to come up here and sit in the line up to await its fate. On blocks of course, and I may even drape a tarp over it too. First thing is to dig in the rim pile and try to find 4 rims to fit so it'll roll/slide easier. Those are probably the big-hole pattern, 5 lug on 5" or maybe 5 on 4 1/2", just can't remember. Then to find some 15" rag tires to slip on, then head to the woods with the chainsaw and one of the good old Massey 44's. Oh, of course the camera..... :D :D :D

Hope you guys don't mind me blaming you all for talking me into bringing it home....that MAY make it easier for MrsMassey to accept, yeah, maybe I'll tell her one of my fellow forum memberes may be SERIOUS about restoring it and I'm just making sure it doesn't slip away. :? :? :? That'll work.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
3M
Sounds like a ploy I might use:)
I have thought about going to look at a Allis CA. The story would go like this "we have never had one in the family like "THIS ONE" and also that the letters CA are "your" Initials! Cheryl Ann. So there, that will make it all OK!!!:)
Good luck with the 57. Glad to hear its coming home.
Yea you can always blame us. I do that all the time to other form members.
Regards,
Chris

G

·
To save or not to save is not the question here.Save what you can even if you never do anything with it. The woman I was married to said that if I bought one more tractor or old truck she wanted a divorce. The divorce came through on the 17th of October. The old iron is still there and I never hear as much as a single complaint from it. OOOOOPPPPPSSSSSSSS.Rambling again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It would be a great but costly project.The old car that is.Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts