Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stole a little time to work on the little ford, The original plan was to get it running and the tires holding air so I can move it around and restore the VAC first. well the #1 exhaust valve was stuck open so I went ahead and pulled the head off. I did not have it in a convenient spot for long term storage so I had to turn it around and move it. I got the motor out and invertedt. The sleeves and bottom end look ok. I got the valve out without bending it, everything else looks ok. I plan to hand lap the valves and plastigauge the main and rod bearings, rebuild the oil pump and put new gaskets and seals in it.
I'll try to get the pics up later.

G

·
Glad you got it started and got that valve out with no trouble. We hope to start the engine on the 850 somewhat soon.
Good luck and we'll be waiting for the pics.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Bruce,
Looks like a project! Thanks for posting the pictures of the 2000.
Will be watching for more to come.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try to get some during shots soon

G

·
Great project. Fenders will be fun. Did a set on an 850 a couple years ago. Think they took almost as long to do as the rest of the tractor.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
didn't loose any pushrods did ya when the valves hung? if so, when you get more push rods, take a few measurements. there are at least 3 styles, with 2 lengths, and 2 diameters, made fo rthe different 1 and 2 piece adjusters.

I just went thru this at the beginning of the year with stuck valves in my 63 4000.. turned the push rods into sphagetti :)

on mine it was hung intakes mostly..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice project, looking forward to the pics.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I would love to one day have a 53 Golden Jubilee with the big "Eye" over the grill - I always thought they were beautiful - they all were in that era for that matter. The rounded metal from 62-64 (I think) was a really nice and subtle touch though, to me it was like the blending generation of old v. new.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Saw a stuck valve on a 2N the other day. They sprayed a penetrating oil on it from below and then took off the hood and gas tank to tap it through the spark plug hole. A couple of taps and it appears to be okay. That is quite a job you have taken on, good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
usually easier to pull a valve cover and work them up and down / spray oil.. scrub stems with toothbrush.. etc.

taking the tin off is something I avoid unless needed.. :)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tapping through the spark plug hole is different on an overhead valve engine. Not sure it's even possible.
Definitely got lucky though. valve stuck open Or was pushed open and didn't spring back.
Pushrods and valvestems are still straight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts