Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update on my 66 engine rebuild. Picked it up on Mon. and worked all week after work to get it installed. Got it started yesterday and it ran good till electrical problems cropped up. For some reason it would run normally then abruptly shut down . It was very late and I was very much tired so we finally gave up on having it ready for today's ride. The new engine has so much compression now the 6 volt system wont turn it fast enough to start it. Guess I will do a 12 volt conversion. The people at Korves were very helpful and sent us all the correct rebuild items needed. My engine builder did a great job. Thanks to all who replied to my posts. Anyone have tips on a 12 volt conversion?

Thanks,
Johnny Holland

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you paint the tractor? If you did all of the grounds need to be really clean. I did this with mine an I had trouble starting it till I clean all the spots. Anymore questions just ask Thanks Brad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the tractor was already painted. Only painted the engine. During the install I fully charged the battery and cleaned all the electrical connections along with the battery posts. Neighbor thinks maybe the coil is going bad but I will recheck the connections again.

JHolland

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Sounds like a coil, they are notorious for getting hot and quitting. they will often cool off and work again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What size battery cables do you have? With a tight motor it will be harder to turn over until it's broke in. I would replace the cable with brand new "0" gage cables. Battery cables have a life span to them and they do wear out internally. You couldn't pay me enough to switch anything to 12V.

·
Registered
50 Posts
everything must be clean starter mating surfaces motor mount mating surfaces all off these work as a ground Im only referring to your starting issue Hope this helps Brad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys. I have new battery cables,cleaned posts and terminal on starter and solenoid at reinstall along with fully charged battery. Why would it not be a good idea to convert to 12 volt?

JHolland

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ultimately it's your tractor and you can do what you want with it BUT here's my opinion. 6V starters spin faster on 12V and also hit the ring gear faster. Last year I split 3 tractors to replace ring gears because they were trashed. All 3 were converted. The only tractor I have with an alternator on it is my 1030 CASE because original generators are hard to find. It's not original nor restored with a big ugly alternator hanging on the side. I know you said you have new cables but are they big enough? 6V systems need large diameter battery cables. Your engine is also fresh and tight. After you run it for 50 hours it will loosen up and start easier. Out pf my 29 tractors 2 are 12V because they're diesels, all the others are 6V and start fine even at zero. I farm with mine too. ;) I think your trying to solve a temporary problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1031d,

I had not considered the wear and tear on on the starter and gear. I really don't want to convert it if I can get it to crank and run at 6 volt. I think I will start over and see if I can make it work.
JHolland

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have several tractors converted to 12 volt 1 wire and have never had any problems out none of them..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Crown Battery of Fremont, Ohio makes a 8 volt battery & dad used them for easy starting of the Oliver 70 & 77 he had.
Didn't need to change any starter or generator or wiring either.
Heavy cables & tight clean connections make a big difference also.

·
Registered
395 Posts
if its a delco starter you can chance fields to 12 volt to slow it down I had a wd allis chalmers that would break bendix drive spring once in a while if you change to 12 volt put a chrsler ignition resister ahead of distributer in power wire to cut voltage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts