Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rusty, looks good! Have you tried adjusting the PTO clutch? My 400 needed almost a full turn to get it functioning properly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1031d said:
Rusty, looks good! Have you tried adjusting the PTO clutch? My 400 needed almost a full turn to get it functioning properly.
I have tried several times to tighten the pto clutch using the instructions in the operators manual with no success. It seems like I can't get any movement although I am pretty sure the lock pin is releasing. Do they get to the point that they can't be tightened any more?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Generally if they are too worn to tighten anymore the pto won't stop spinning. The PTO pack is made up of several friction linings and metal plates, and as everything wears it requires periodic tightening. Yours is an Eagle Hitch tractor so there isn't much space to look in the hole you tighten the clutch through. There is a special tool made for pulling the pin. Sometimes they require quite a bit of convincing to get loose for the first time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No eagle hitch on this 730 but those big fenders do make it hard to see into the little inspection hole on the side. I think I made up a tool to reach in to release the spring loaded pin . I will try it again. The brake still works but it has very low pounds pull to lock it in gear. I hit a fence picket the other day with the mower and it kicked the lever right into neutral.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like a good tightening will cure that. Yours is considered an Eagle Hitch tractor as it's not a comfort king and has the remote valve and hydraulic pump combined. They changed quite a few things when they went to the CK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts