Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I picked up a 661 Ford with power steering last fall. I checked all of my fluids this spring and found a pinkish colored fluid in the power steering reservoir. I have been using regular hydraulic fluid in my 861 power steering reservoir and it works good, but it is a bit sluggish when a try to do a quick turn, like on a corner of the hayfield. So now I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong power steering fluid in the 861! And does anyone have any experience with a pinkish colored fluid for the power steering that I'm seeing in the 661? I guess the basic question is, "What is the correct power steering fluid to use in a Ford X61 series?"

·
Administrator
4,252 Posts
NH/ford spec M2c134d oil from the manufacturer, or equivalent from a farm supply store. Most tell on the label what specs they cover.
A lot of folks use this from Rural King because it's cheap, and it has a color very similar to power steering or transmission fluids.

I can't say that's what it is, but it's an option. Best thing would be change it to what you want to use.
I haven't heard anything bad about the stuff from Rural King.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts