Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im guessing this is the right section for my newest project, just brought it home earlier this week, and just got it fired up yesterday but quickly shut it down because the little plastic oil line going to the gauge is broken and oil was spitting out... but it sounded good.

4 Cyl gas with 5 speed, two stage clutch and 3 pt. From what Ive been reading online that should make it an 861 although I have not yet tested the pto to confirm that it is live.... due to the oil line issue and its been raining all day today so I havent fixed that yet.

The hydraulic pump needs work but I knew that before purchase, rear tires still have the paper label but both fronts are garbage, came with a Fel and 48" bucket. Got an MF 6' 3pt pto sickle mower and Westward 5' 3pt cultivator in the package deal.

No questions today... just pokin around and stopped in to say Hi.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
Real nice tractor and a very useful to have around any place.;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So this is my latest score, I had a little Ford Lgt165 garden tractor with a fel and wasnt trying to sell it but a guy came along wanting to buy it, at first I said no because I used it to haul other garden tractor bits and pieces around but... he came back with quite a high offer and a lead to this 861...ok Sold

861 does need some tlc, hydro pump is the biggest issue but I know parts are easy to find for any old Ford so Im not too concerned about that. Im not yet sure if I'll keep it long term or fix and flip it but I do like my Fords, trucks and tractors. I do need a loader around the yard but it doesnt need to be a 60hp tractor, biggest thing I need to pick up is a 700-800 lb garden tractor that may or may not have wheels under it. Dont need it for snow because I move that with an '85 Bronco II w/6' front blade... did I mention I like Fords. Lol.. something else I picked up from Pop;)

I sure hope this upside down hood emblem isnt a bad OMEN

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yep, that's a bad omen.
You better jerk that ornament off real quick and send it to me so I can straighten it up and use elsewhere. :lol:
I'm sure I can find a good location to put it on one of my Ford tractors, trucks, car or shop wall.
Wouldn't want it to cause you any bad luck. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol... ya well, as soon as Oliverguy sends that Canadian Cockshutt, that hes holding hostage in the states, back up here where it belongs you can have my upside down Ford emblem ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a frost plug popped out and laying on the ground when I found the Ford so I wanted to give it a good flush, hooked up the garden hose and ran it for a few minutes today, there was some rust at first but it cleared out quickly, didnt actually drive it around but I checked the gears while it was running, all good. Some electrical gremlins to look into.... wouldnt shut down with the key switch so I had to idle it down and pull the choke to kill it... minor detail... most every tractor I bring home needs to be rewired.

Oh and I did turn the hood emblem right side up. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... replaced the frost plug... after getting the starter out of the way.... why is it ALWAYS the hardest plug to work on that pops out??? but anyway... fill it up with water... wont start.. coughs and burbs and farts but no start... wth?? it ran yesterday, check for fuel... nothing... ok so what happened to the gallon I put in yesterday.... OH CRAP... left the fuel on last night and the fuel is now in the crankcase.... ok so drain the oil... and of course theres only about 4 liters of oil in the shop.... why would there be anymore than that, I usually work on garden tractors.... couldnt win for trying today... but hey... at least the frost plug is in the hole. LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had it moving under its own power today so its officially back from the dead ;) One front tire only holds air about 5 minutes so it was a short test drive, I just moved it over beside the shop so its easier to work on, and isnt in the sun all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally getting back around to this 861... put a tube in the bad front tire and found another frost plug that needs to be replaced... this one was still in the hole but it was rusted thru and leaking. I'll have to go to the city to find a new plug, once thats taken care of I should have a running tractor.... pulled it out of the shop with a little MTD garden tractor so I could flush the system with a garden hose.....

Attachments

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
You want to jack up the front end on that tractor and check for play. Ford made the front end a bit on the weak side and that bushing the axle pivots on needs to be watched. Real simple to change. Maybe a half hour job (presuming it wasnt welded like my 840)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the front wheels off while it was in the shop over the winter and its actually all in fairly decent condition... no repairs that I can see. The tractor has some minor electrical issues... the joystick controls for the loader are kind of a rats nest... but Ive had tractors from the 70s/80s in worse overall condition.

I bought a frost plug today but ATM its still in my pocket so I'll pop that in tomorrow.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
I dont know if that means that having a wheel off would have you checking the axle for play. Try using a large wrench on the axle and see if you can twist it when the axle isnt supporting the tractor. If it wiggles you need to replace the bushing.
IMG_20160217_075954.jpg
It is the horizontal pin under the radiator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts