Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got so nice here today that I decided to start the N and let her run for a while. Had heard so many talk about blocking the clutches on them that I thought what the heck can't hurt question though when ya start them and just to let them run should you unblock it or does it matter?

Also while I think about it I have always just ran straight 30 oil in my tractors but with this last cold snap if I had needed it don't know if it would have turned over think I'd be better with 10-30 or 10-40?want to make sure before I change it come spring. Normally here we don't get that cold but got me to thinking what ya think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
YES.. do not leave it blocked when running, or you will soon be repalcing the TOB and might as well do the clutch if splitting her because you burnt the TOB and ruined the clutch fingers.

ONLY block when not running!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
we run 15 40 all year round here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
it has better viscosity specs than a 10 40, and is better for an 8n than a 10wt base oil. not to mention a C rated diesel oil has more zddp than a gasser S only, rated oil, and that is good for flat tappets.. like your N has.. less wear... etc..
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,283 Posts
I think on the next oil change Rotella 15w-40 will start going in all my field equipment engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
i used to have some machines on 30.. some on 40, some on 10w30.. some on 15w40.. adn one day just converted them all to 15w40. everything stayed happy.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
soundguy said:
it has better viscosity specs than a 10 40, and is better for an 8n than a 10wt base oil. not to mention a C rated diesel oil has more zddp than a gasser S only, rated oil, and that is good for flat tappets.. like your N has.. less wear... etc..
There is no longer zinc in any oil anymore. The diesel oil was the last to get it taken out. It is recommend to add a zinc additive to protect the cam's and litters especially after a rebuild/first start up. A lot of cam shafts that you get for car engines even come with a warning label telling you to use a zinc additive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
plety of oil manufacturer web sites disagree with you.

I just did a google search of zddp ( zinc phosphorus) levels in oil, and got many hits with data. i read 2 hits on mobile 1 and delo. 1 was for a syn, and the other a 15w40.

I know S only, rated oils dropped zddp levels.. but C rated oils are still showing it. at least from the research I can find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
soundguy said:
plety of oil manufacturer web sites disagree with you.

I just did a google search of zddp ( zinc phosphorus) levels in oil, and got many hits with data. i read 2 hits on mobile 1 and delo. 1 was for a syn, and the other a 15w40.

I know S only, rated oils dropped zddp levels.. but C rated oils are still showing it. at least from the research I can find.
Ive called a couple of oil company's hotlines and they said that the "high mileage" oils have the maximum level of zinc that the EPA will allow Wich isn't much only because the high mileage vehicles probably don't have the high tech pollution control equipment. That is the reason for them taking zinc out. It will cause major problems with the newer cars. Plus zinc is actually highly toxic when burned so if there are oil burners out there the pollution is higher. I see this topic a good bit on antique and classic forums but never the tractor forums.
The guy I have do all my machine work does race engines and he has seen more premature wear in the last five years then ever before. He stresses that everyone should add an additive to the oil. He even goes the extra mile and mixes the oil and zinc additive in a clean container before putting the oil in a brand new engine. He had a friend build a engine and had it on the test stand. With in 3 minutes of running the cam and litters were distroyed. Like I said before if you go buy a cam shaft they come with a warning label now.
Look up on YouTube and there are videos on the dangers of old engines and no zinc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Jason1Pa said:
soundguy said:
plety of oil manufacturer web sites disagree with you.

I just did a google search of zddp ( zinc phosphorus) levels in oil, and got many hits with data. i read 2 hits on mobile 1 and delo. 1 was for a syn, and the other a 15w40.

I know S only, rated oils dropped zddp levels.. but C rated oils are still showing it. at least from the research I can find.
Ive called a couple of oil company's hotlines and they said that the "high mileage" oils have the maximum level of zinc that the EPA will allow Wich isn't much only because the high mileage vehicles probably don't have the high tech pollution control equipment. That is the reason for them taking zinc out. It will cause major problems with the newer cars. Plus zinc is actually highly toxic when burned so if there are oil burners out there the pollution is higher. I see this topic a good bit on antique and classic car forums but never the tractor forums.
The guy I have do all my machine work does race engines and he has seen more premature wear in the last five years then ever before. He stresses that everyone should add an additive to the oil. He even goes the extra mile and mixes the oil and zinc additive in a clean container before putting the oil in a brand new engine. He had a friend build a engine and had it on the test stand. With in 3 minutes of running the cam and litters were distroyed. Like I said before if you go buy a cam shaft they come with a warning label now.
Look up on YouTube and there are videos on the dangers of old engines and no zinc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
that's why i run s/c rated oils in all my tractors.... flat tappets..

same reason I run valvoline ultra premium blue full syn 5w40 in my trucks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
soundguy said:
that's why i run s/c rated oils in all my tractors.... flat tappets..

same reason I run valvoline ultra premium blue full syn 5w40 in my trucks
What is the parts per million levels on the zinc? It may still have some in there,but it isn't like it used to be. The EPA will not let them make it with the levels they had even 3 years ago... I wouldn't take any chances. It's not that much to put a additive in to be safe..

Here is a video. It's kind of boring,but has a lot of info in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfNHgGMzwrI
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top