Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange problem Was moving a couple things around and for no reason just shut off. Resarted right back up and after a couple minutes shut off again. Started right up again. Put it away and just let it run and after a while went to shut off pulled the choke and she kept running. When it shuts down it will fire right back up.
Have no miss but like it has a mind of its own.Not sure where to start. Gas is same as has been in it. Not had any problem till today. Gas is about 1month old.It is like you shut the switch off but when ya choke it it keeps running.Any ideas where I should start looking? Thanks.
Amp meter is maitaining betweem 2-9 amps.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Stephenscity,
Boy these are always a challenge. But I would suspect a problem in the gas system. intermittent blockage of the gas line?
I think when my Jubilee has only a gallon and it sets in the right spot it will run out of gas feeding the system but shows there is a little in the tank. Check the sediment bowl to see if it shows full. Also might want to drain the carb if it has a drain. I found a bunch of fine dirt in the carb on the Jubilee after it stopped once in the yard on level ground.
Good luck and let us know.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Think I will just start there. I am a little low on fuel but looks to be about 1=2 gal in it. Never thought to check the bowl but like I said it litterly started right back up. Draining the carb makes sence Will try that.Just gonna spend the day tightening, cleaning :cry: :cry: :cry:

G

·
Do some research on the shut off under the tank. They have a reserve setting. Don't think its marked. I believe its something like 2 turns open is on. When the gas gets below the stem inside then you have to open it up the rest of the way to get the lower side of the tank. Research it though because it may be reverse of what I just said.
We've never let our tanks get that low to find out.
Good luck Sir.

·
Registered
658 Posts
petra79 said:
Do some research on the shut off under the tank. They have a reserve setting. Don't think its marked. I believe its something like 2 turns open is on. When the gas gets below the stem inside then you have to open it up the rest of the way to get the lower side of the tank. Research it though because it may be reverse of what I just said.
We've never let our tanks get that low to find out.
Good luck Sir.

Ron is right. Open is 2 turns and wide open is all the way out

G

·
Thanks Gary.. Thought it was something like that. Still check like Chris said as far as crud in the fuel. Also when your pulling fuel from the very bottom of the tank, your more likely to get the crud settled on the bottom. Thats another reason we don't let our tanks get that low.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys Yea I was already on reserve. Wont run my vehicles down that low but got in a hurry. Drained the carb like Chris said and it was clean but when I turned the gas back on noticed the stream was a little weak. Pumped the gas out of the tank only had a gal. Pulled the sed bowel assembly cleaned all the ports screens were clean Pored gas through and all seemed ok. Put her all back together put a couple gal gas back in and she pured like a kitten. Let it run for a little over an hr at different rpm's not a single miss. Don't really know but agree she just didn't like that last gal of gas. :( :( Now dumb question could it be it just can't p/u that last gal? Thanks all for input. Sure hope this did it. Got to make sure she's right before our annual Christmas Eve ride!!!!!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
If a half-million dollar NASCAR racer can fail to pick up the last gallon, why not an 8-N Ford tractor? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bikerdave said:
If a half-million dollar NASCAR racer can fail to pick up the last gallon, why not an 8-N Ford tractor? :lol: :lol:
GOOD POINT :!: :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
check were the fuel line goes into carb housing there is a small screen in most and doesnt take much to plug it my cub was doing same thing and that was its problem also same on brother in laws 65 massey

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Am a happy camper now :D :D . Used the N all day without as much as a wimper!!Got the garden plowed and someother chores. Sure glad it didn't get into my pocket this time. Learned a valuable lesson not to run her this low on fuel again!!!!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Great to hear your purring along again. All that cleaning sure did not hurt.
Regards,
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts