Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, newbie here.

I recently acquired an old Ford 8n, not sure the year, to do some field mowing. The tractor runs great, no smoke at all, and seems peppy. I was noticing though that when I spun up my finish mower at full throttle that oil started leaking from the filler cap. When I take the cap off, it spits and spurts out until I lower the throttle or deactivate the PTO. With the cap off and PTO turned off I can still see the oil sloshing around down in the tube, but not enough to escape the pipe when not at full throttle with PTO.
I was hoping that one of you may have run across this in the past. I believe my finish mower is designed to run at full PTO speed so I'd like to figure out how to resolve this.
Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
I am pretty sure the oil fill tube has a wire mesh, a filter, within the cap on the tube and acts as the vent. Cleaning the cap and mesh if plugged should help and allow the engine to breathe better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help, I adjusted the baffles in the filler tube and then tried adding an extension to it which kept most of the oil from making it all the way out. I test mowed about a half acre and the tractor seemed to run fine. I think I'll just run it, but I'm a little concerned about it being a sign of blow-by from the cylinders. Again, seems to run fine. Do you think I should do a compression test?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts