Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
I've got some that big on the vines but none ripe yet. Just having maters as big on the vines in May is a first for me.
What variety are they? They kinnda look like rutgers or stones. By the way I fixed your photos, hope you don't mind. ;)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for fixing them, I need to relearn how to do that.
They are Better Boys. definitely the most popular variety around here.

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
I planted a couple of Better Boys this year for the first time. Along with Rutgers, Golden Jubliee, and Roma.
I always thought the Better Boys were big sanwich slicer tomatos like the Big Boys. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No they normally run large.
I don't know about these, this is the first time I have bought plants, I oversprayed mine and almost killed them
I think they may be mislabeled Early Girls.
My plants recovered and are doing fine but they are running a little later than the bought ones.
Better boys should make a nice compliment to your others most of them are late season and some are determinite. should give you a steady supply of nice slicers in the mid season.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i just LOVE home grown maters but I cant grow them. :( .. have tried inside, outside, standard and dwarf but never get more than 2-3.... any hints guys

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
I don't know what to tell you Mrs. H. :? Maybe it has to do with location and climate.
I can actually spit a 'mater seed on the ground here, and grow a vine that yields fruit.
All I do is put a plant in the ground, keep the weeds back, and have tomatoes to give away.
Now, every other year, I cover the garden spot with barn drippin's that have weathered a bit,
and turn it under in the fall. Maybe that has something to do with it. ;) Other than that,
I don't use any chemicals or other fertilizer on my garden, and just pick off any bugs and worms that I see.
But you're right the taste of store bought tomatoes don't hold a candle to one ripe out of the garden.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
When did you plant it? The earliest I can get them here is about June 20, usually Early Girls, and every weather thing has to be just about perfect.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure the exact date, but it was close to the Apr 25 norm for this area.
I have grown tomatoes in the greenhouse in winter and never could get them to ripen.
I conclude from this that daylength is important.
The amount of sunshine this spring may have something to do with them being so early.

·
849 Posts
Mrs Harris said:
i just LOVE home grown maters but I cant grow them. :( .. have tried inside, outside, standard and dwarf but never get more than 2-3.... any hints guys
They tend to like it warm and sunny. You may try building a hoop house out of some PVC pipe and clear plastic and try growing them in it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always planted early girl, then started having bloosom end rot problems. Went to better boys, not as early but beautiful tomatoes. A little bigger than early girls. I plant them in big tree potsearly and take them in and out of the garage so they don't frost. I have big red tomatoes but no ripe ones yet....James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts