Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passing of Neil Armstrong brings back lots of memories.
All of my family were avid followers of the space program and the race to the moon. I watched as much space coverage on tv as I could during those years. I believed I was with Armstrong when he took his "small step for man."
When I was young and soon after moving into our new home, where daughter, SIL, and grandson now live, my dad worked on second shift. He would get home from work around midnight. During the summer, he loved to go outside for awhile after he got home from work and lay on his back in the grass and look to the heavens. He watched for shooting stars, and when the US and the USSR began launching satellites, Explorer and Sputnik, in the late 1950s, we watched for them.
So many modern conveniences that we enjoy now came from the space program. It was a time when
the USA's greatness shown all across the world. We had a "can do" attitude. I was too young to notice, but politics did not seem to raise its ugly head at every step of the way to the moon like it would today. The goal was simply to put an American on the moon, and not worry too much whom or what political party got the credit for it.
RIP Mr. Armstrong. Ours is a nation starving for more men like you to present themselves.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sad to hear of His Passing . A brave man gone .
Here in Australia ,I remember being Given the day off school to watch the Moon landing .

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Neil was alright in my book!! Had the pleasure of meeting him once, and although we didnt see eye to eye on the privatization of the space program, he was still genuinly wonderful to talk to!

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
I saw this yesterday afternoon, and decided to see if someone else would post it.
After posting Mrs. Diller's passing earlier this week, I didn't want to feel like the grim reaper of ATF.
Don't forget he was also a Farmer. One of the most famous farmers ever. :cool:
He grew up on a farm around Wapakoneta OH, and after retiring from NASA, taught at the Univ. of Cinn,
and raised cattle and grain, on his beautiful 300+ acre farm not far from where I lived around Lebanon, OH.
Mr. Armstrong loved, and respected the land, like most of us here do. Very fitting to honor him on this site.
He became an American Hero, because of the task he took on for NASA. R.I.P. Mr. Armstrong your passing marks the end of an era.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A great thing to me about him is that he seemed to be a very humble man. I don't remember him ever "cashing in" because of his space accomplishments. Dave, he sounds like a man that did his duty marvelously and then was content to be himself, follow his ambitions, and continue to serve mankind in his own soecial way.

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Jim, I ran into him a few times at the local feed store in Lebanon, but had no idea who he was. When I first met him there I was in my company truck,
and he asked If I was the one who worked on the elevators in the building where he taught at U.C. as he recognized the truck. I said yes, introduced
myself by frist name, and so did he. We talked when we ran into each other a few times, about farming and elevators, but not much else. The last time I
saw him we were at the counter at the feed store, he said something about elevators, and I made the comment that elevators "are not rocket science."
One of my usual quips at the time. He chuckled finished his purchase and left. The clerk said to me "funny you should say that to him." I gave him a confused look,
and he said "don't you know who that was." I said Neil, he teaches at U.C. The guy said "That's Neil Armstrong, you know, the guy who first walked on the moon."
I was flabbergasted, met one of my childhood heros and didn't know it. Never ran into him again after I knew, and shortly after that moved here to KY.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A great story and I am sure it was a great experience for you Dave. Humility is definately a virtue.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone that is interested, on today's radio broadcast of Charles Osgood's "The Osgood Files", he remembers Armstrong and the kind of man he was. Osgood's reports are here locally on a station that is affilliated with CBS Radio News.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The History channel on cable had a special on Armstrong last night. He was indeed a great American HERO. Sorry to hear of his passing. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts