Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jewel who I called baby for a week then relized I was calling all pound pups baby at times got renamed with in a week. she was a teriably abused puppy and was always trying to find the smallest tightest place to sleep for a very long time. she squezzed under the truck seat on the way home from the pound even.
I entered her picture in a pet photo contest in 2007 and she got second place. Caption was WHAT DAD.

She just loved rolling in the grass and snow and when they were both together she was in heaven as the photo I feel shows.
She at times had seizures we think from being beat on about the head. We would just keep her calm petting her and talking to her in a low voice. Wouldn't be long and she was ready to go on a walk or sit on the hill top watching the critters and birds along the creek. She is the favorite of my oldest grand daughter. I'm not sure how I am going to tell her I had to have Jewel put down so sher doesn't suffer any longer.

Big lumox weighing nearly 80 pounds never did stop wanting to climb on your lap for some loving once she started trusting us.

Started about a month ago she wouldn't go on walks with the rest of us or maybe go part way then return to the yard and lay by the doggie pool waiting for us to return.

Then about two weeks ago she would go out and lay by the pool after trying to drink it dry like she always did but she was having trouble getting up and down. Her eyes told me she was in some pain doing that so I started giving her asprin like the vet said to do.
Then Friday evening she didn't get up to go out to the pool and didn't eat. Saturday Morning I coxed her to get up but she wouldn't so I put her on a old blanket and slid her out to be on the hill by the pool and fed her out of my hand. Hoping she would get better I did the same last night. But I could see I was only prolonging the what had to be done. Monday morning she will join several others the great spirit has made a home for waiting for me.

There is a doe deer who used to play with her who will miss her too.

:cry: Al

·
Registered
362 Posts
Al, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm a huge animal lover and have a house full of pets to prove it.

It's great to see that you took in a pup that needed special attention. It deserved more and you came through with a loving home and gentle hand. I'll remember you in my thoughts and prayers. Most of us have been through this kind of pain and it just ain't easy. There's never any words that can be said to ease the hurt. God bless you!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Al I have this poem by my bed I read 2 or 3 times a week.

The Rainbow Bridge
By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

© 1998 Steve and Diane Bodofsky. All Rights Reserved.

·
849 Posts
I'm real sorry to hear that. We had a few abused dogs growing up and they are always the most loving once they realize that you are not going to hurt them.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
So very sorry for Jewel and you, Al. We are pet lovers too and know what you are experiencing. We do what's best for them and we ache, too. Peace for both of you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the kind words. She will be missed dearly by us. Will seem strange to look out the kitchen window in the winter and not see her sitting on the hill over looking the creek.
She went to where ever the great spirit deemed she should be at 12:05PM ESDST. It started raining on the way home but stopped so I could bury her down by the creek with Peanuts My 16 year old britt, Bobby The 17 year old cocker spainal I bought for my dad, Chip Kares choclate labby, Bobbies buddy the cat that used to sleep with him and sit on the over turned water tank with him. Razz my 2 year old cat that taught me cats were good pets too., then he had to get a brain tumor.

:D Al

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the kind words. She will be missed dearly by us. Will seem strange to look out the kitchen window in the winter and not see her sitting on the hill over looking the creek.
She went to where ever the great spirit deemed she should be at 12:05PM ESDST. It started raining on the way home but stopped so I could bury her down by the creek with Peanuts My 16 year old britt, Bobby The 17 year old cocker spainal I bought for my dad, Chip Kares choclate labby, Bobbies buddy the cat that used to sleep with him and sit on the over turned water tank with him. Razz my 2 year old cat that taught me cats were good pets too., then he had to get a brain tumor.

:D Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts