Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Increased insect populations in your crops and gardens, or have they all been fried and dried from the heat and drought? So far, we have had no Japanese Beetles this year.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Hardly any insects in the garden this year. So much so, that I could hardly believe it.
I saw Japanese beetles on the peach tree when they were ripening, but not many, and they were gone as soon as the peaches were.
The past week I've been enjoying watching the dragon flies hovering over the hayfield next to the house in the early morning.
Waspers and mud daubers are about normal, but skeeters and others that use standing water to reproduce haven't had anywhere to lay their eggs. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than worms in cabbage and broccoli earlier in the season, the worst varmint has been squash bugs. I am gonna try to spray my squash today. it is a little cooler, and the chance of showers comes back tomorrow. Squash and cukes, like most everything else, have had a tough time this summer. Better growing conditions would have protected the squash a bit more.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Oddly enough, this year wasn't as bad for bugs in our little spot as I would have expected. We also discovered Macho 2.0L (generic form of Nuprid 2.0) that really put the hurt on the potato bugs this year. I think the really dry summer we had might have stunted them a bit. The squash bugs were nowhere near as bad as in years past - but maybe they're just saving their strength for next year... :eek:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a bug zapper outside the shop and last year there would be a pile of bugs to sweep off the concret, this year only a few and some evenings I haven't even pluged it in. No serious insects in the fields either. I look for a early fall and winter with colder temps. As a rule the average yearly temp varies only a few degrees so we should be in for some long stretches of below average to balance out the long stretch of hot hot hot, who knows.....mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts