Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and new to working on old tractors. I just picked up a 1955 Allis Chalmers CA. The motor was froze, so I had to remove the head. There is a part in there that is not listed in either of the service manuals I have. It looks like some sort of oil catch basin. It sits under the rocker arms against the top of the head and runs the length of the head. It has only one hole in the rear lowest part where it looks like oil would return through. I attached a picture of it. Can anyone tell me what this is and why its needed? Since its not in any manuals that I've found, I'm tempted to just leave it out.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I haven't seen anything like that and I've had a lot of those heads off.

·
Super Moderator
8,541 Posts
I have a C, and don't ever remember seeing something like that. Perhaps Big Dave will know.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Someone went to a lot of trouble to build and fit that on the engine. Must of been a reason.
I've had valve cover off of G125, 149, 160 and 226 Allis Chalmers engines and they all look mostly the same.
I never remember seeing an oil trough like that on any. It's not in any parts book that I can find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts