Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I had almost all of them running yesterday! Except for the 45. The wide front WD was used to haul brush from a dead ash tree that the electric company took down for me.

Used the D17 to pull a old basket ball unit:

The WZ was just moved and tucked in the sugarshed. just to get it out of the weather.

All this flurry of activity is due to a plan I have to add a new structure to the property.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like yall were keeping busy yesterday.
Good to run those old tractors to keep everything loose and fresh.

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
Great pictures. Your shed would look good on my place. (y)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Folks,
I am planning to build a new shed and some trees had to be sacrificed. This tree trunk soft maple Had been leaning somewhat towards the sugarhouse for the last 20 years. I chose to wrap a chain around the three trunks and tie it off to a smaller elm standing near it. After I touched the chainsaw to it there was no turning back. cut the notch and fell the tree where I planned. Right into the middle of the proposed new building. As it hit the ground the three trunks opened up and really were not held together by much.

After I saw the internal condition I was happy it was on the ground. A strong wind may have spit these apart.

The elm was next, both these were within feet of where the north end of the building will be. This one I didn't get it exactly where I wanted it but it did not harm the electric or the phone!:)

Cheryl caught me at what I do best ,set and rest!

I called my local Amish saw mill and got a price on sawing this ash tree into lumber. 20 cents per board foot. I decided to cut this into two logs 8'6" long. I will have the neighbor come over and load them and I will take them to the mill Monday. Hope to pick up a load of slabs while there.
I really dont have any plans for the ash lumber, but you only get one chance and I have had this on my bucket list for a while.

Had to remove a couple small maples that were going to be too close to the south end of the building also. Will borrow the neighbors log spliter tomorrow and get this wood into smaller chunks. Might stack it some where and possibly use it to heat a area in the new building? I have the wood stove, just need to design it into the system.

I used the wide front Allis WD to haul the small limbs down in the yard and will burn them sometime. Was nice to get it into 4th gear out on the road.

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: iko

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like a really good spot for your new building.
That tree definitely needed to go.

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
Chris nice to see you back and that y'all are well. Your chores are very similar to what we have been doing. Ash trees here are beginning to die here in large numbers. I have several that are not leafing out this spring. Most of them can be cut with no problem, but one large one, at least 2 feet in diameter in a bad location, is gonna be difficult. Stay safe!

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
That's a lot of work, but always fun playing with orange tractors.
Good luck with your new building.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Folks.
Ok I am old and easily distracted. I posted some pictures in the D17 thread of the moves we made today. How come these little projects now seem to be more difficult and I feel it more than I did 40 years ago??
Thanks guys for the positive comments too!
I guess the wife is starting to approve of my new shop/ project!:) She is still feeding me too!

Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
You didn't get to the trees too soon, great photos, thanks for posting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts