Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Had a little time Sunday afternoon so I blocked up a little wood for the wood shed.

This old '44' s been fouling #1 plug and I have an old '30' that doesn't get too much of a work out, so I put the little guy on the splitter instead.

Still have a little more to block up, but time to take a break while splitting a little bit.

Can't wait to get the woodshed filled....might be a cold one next year !!! :?

G

·
0 Posts
Boy if that pile ever caught fire, I'd see ya from here :shock: Sure hope that never happens.
Good to see ya keeping busy.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
I've been cuttin' and splittin' more than usual this winter. The main road that passes nearby is being widened and many of the trees that have been cut off the right of way have made it here. Lots of too big to handle knotty trees have been challenging, but I am getting there. I'll try to post some pics in a few days. The sad thing is that it has been so warm that there has not been much wood sold this winter. We know the saying "wait until next year." ;)

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Biiiiig house if you need that much wood. I worked in a tire store over in Ellsworth, at the most we ever needed were 6 cord. It looks as though you may have 30 cord there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Although the temps have been mild and above normal nearly all winter it has been really damp.
It is a dampness that can seep into your bones and chill ya. It is also a dampness that gets into homes, many friends have expessed how they have used about as much gas, fuel oil and electric to keep the dampness down in their homes.

We don't have that problem, wood heat drys a home out in the winter if you don't keep a humidifier going or some thing of the sort.
Our wood burning furnace has a 5 gallon pot, a 4 quart kettle and a couple of 2 quart pots on top I keep full of water.
I've burnt about 3/4 of this pile of wood so far.

It had a lot of White Pine and old well seasoned Elm in it so I burn that during the day.

I have also burnt up the trailer load of wood pictured here and nearly the whole first row of wood so far. It is good seasoned Ash killed off by the Emerald Ash Bore. It is from the woods of my neighbour who doesn't burn wood but wants the dead ash gone.
I have a bunch in my woods too but only cut the stuff that comes down in wind storms so far.

taken 11-11-11

:D Al

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lovesthedrive said:
Biiiiig house if you need that much wood. I worked in a tire store over in Ellsworth, at the most we ever needed were 6 cord. It looks as though you may have 30 cord there.
We heat 3 houses and 2 workshops out of this shed. And yes, we certainly do burn a lot of wood. Each of the three sections are 12' x 12' x 10".5" high and we typically burn one section per heating season...

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
missouri massey man said:
Lovesthedrive said:
We heat 3 houses and 2 workshops out of this shed. And yes, we certainly do burn a lot of wood. Each of the three sections are 12' x 12' x 10".5" high and we typically burn one section per heating season...
I don't think I have ever seen that much wood ready to burn in my life time . When we first married bought a warm morning & we burned cold .

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
483 Posts
When I was a kid we had a Warm Morning top load stove. Nothing cold about it at all. we had soap stones we warmed up every evening a wrapped in a little bit of flannal to go at our feet in the bed. I missed that soap stone after the folks went to oil heat for a while.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alleyyooper said:
When I was a kid we had a Warm Morning top load stove. Nothing cold about it at all. we had soap stones we warmed up every evening a wrapped in a little bit of flannal to go at our feet in the bed. I missed that soap stone after the folks went to oil heat for a while.

All we had was a king heater in one bedroom and a cookstove in the kitchen, nothing in the middle room at all. On many a cold morning I remember cracking thin ice in the water bucket in the kitchen to get a drink and cracking the ice in the wash pan to wash my face. We had no insulation in the walls and the curtains would stand out from the wall from the cracks around the windows when the wind would blow hard.
No indoor plumbing, no running water, no such thing as central heating....someone had it, but we'd never heard of it.
Man that part of 'the good old days' I can certainly say I don't want to repeat !!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
We had central heat. The heater was right in the middle of the house. Of course there was none anywhere else. No insulation, no caulking , etc!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Our home was a big old farm house but only sat on a basement of feild stone, no second floor. we were also in mid Michigan so we piled snow up around the house to insulate the basement and maybe a little of the main floor. We had old wadded up newspapers in the wall we found when we were making a change to the room lay out between the laundry room and kitchen.
We had running water as long as us boys ran with the buckets full. A two holer made up the ficilitys out back and the central heat was due to a wood stove in just about every room.

Today my wood furnace add on is in the basement. we could have heated the whole house back them a lot better with a big old wood stove in the basment I bet. I really liked the boiler on the side of the cook stove, You always had enough hot water to warm up the face washing water. Also the boiler on the laundary stove let mom have hot water for her washer that us boys carried for her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts