Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the seed spreader on my D 15 this morning and just finished adjusting it when I happened to see a small amount of antifreeze on the ground.
Then drips and more drips. Then all the way across the top running down the back of the radiator. A seam that I had repaired about nine years ago blew out again.
The guy who fixed it told me then it may not hold long when he pointed out where the copper was deteriorating. Guess it's time to find a new or used radiator.

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
Sorry to hear of your tractor troubles Dave. Hope you can find what you need easily.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dave,
They just didnt make them to last 100 years!:) New rad will not be a cheap date, I am sure. Hope you find what you need. You might try Sandy Lake Imp sometimes they have some good used rads. Thats where I got my last one for the 45.
Regards,
Chris

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never found a used radiator in my time limit so I finally decided to buy a new one. It was delivered today.
I've been meaning to address couple of other small issues that didn't affect how it ran but needed taken care of.
The manifold had been patched too many times and finally got too thin to repair again.

Along with a temp gauge that works, but the material holding the glass cover from the inside disintegrated and the glass was half fallen in.
When I got to the shed to start I found gas dripping out of the carb. When I took the line off I found the sediment bulb doesn't shut off totally.
The local Napa had a rebuild kit for the carb. Had to order a sediment bulb. Not any of the farm stores had one that would fit.
Did I mention that when I took the line off the carb the threads in the compression fitting came out too.
For the price I paid, I got a surprise when I pulled the new radiator out of the box.
I didn't expect to have to straighten and tack one of the mounting ears back so I could put it on the tractor.

I got the new manifold and temp gauge put on, the carb rebuilt and reinstalled. and the new radiator fixed.
Along with a trip to town I didn't expect.. I hope to get finished putting it back together and running tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
I hope you about got it sorted out Dave. Working on these old tractors sometimes reminds me of plumbing jobs I have had. It is not always only one fitting that leaks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I never found a used radiator in my time limit so I finally decided to buy a new one. It was delivered today.
I've been meaning to address couple of other small issues that didn't affect how it ran but needed taken care of.
The manifold had been patched too many times and finally got too thin to repair again.
View attachment 20851
Along with a temp gauge that works, but the material holding the glass cover from the inside disintegrated and the glass was half fallen in.
When I got to the shed to start I found gas dripping out of the carb. When I took the line off I found the sediment bulb doesn't shut off totally.
The local Napa had a rebuild kit for the carb. Had to order a sediment bulb. Not any of the farm stores had one that would fit.
Did I mention that when I took the line off the carb the threads in the compression fitting came out too.
For the price I paid, I got a surprise when I pulled the new radiator out of the box.
I didn't expect to have to straighten and tack one of the mounting ears back so I could put it on the tractor.
View attachment 20850

I got the new manifold and temp gauge put on, the carb rebuilt and reinstalled. and the new radiator fixed.
Along with a trip to town I didn't expect.. I hope to get finished putting it back together and running tomorrow.
Talk about radiators, you're lucky I'd say. The first radiator I got delivered for my truck was packed in the flimsiest of packaging and therefore badly damaged so I sent it back and ordered from a different vendor. The second one looked fine upon delivery only to find out that it leaks after installing it.

It gives me pleasure to see you found the parts you need,especially the manifold. I have the hardest time to find a used manifold for my Massey Harris 33. No after market exists and can't find a used one. It's like that sometimes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looks like you bout got it all smoothed out. Glad it was repairable and you didn't have to send it back and lose more time.

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New parts on and running. Ran it around until it got up to temp. no coolant, exhaust, or intake leaks.
Just got to put the sheet metal back on after I weld the nose piece where some 57 year old spot welds came loose.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dave,
Good repairs to get the tractor working again. Yes these new aftermarket parts can and do have issues. You made a lot of moves to get your tractor back in service. Thanks for the pictures!
Regards,
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts