Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wife and I made it up to the farm yesterday to gather some pears for Pear Butter (like apple butter but with pears) and got some nice pictures. This particular tree has been on this farm as long as anybody can remember, and has a rich history with our family. In years past we have found marbles in the ground underneath it where children played in the shade when the old house set nearby (1860's the farm was first settled by the first freed slave in Kentucky to purchase property and wed, during the Civil War... did a research paper on this man while in College.) This tree is unusual in that it is hollow, and has been my entire life. What I mean by that is when you walk up and look at the tree, it's completely hollowed out in the main trunk... I don't question what keeps it alive, I just enjoy the pears every year. We have never pruned it or sprayed it for fear of killing it... so it's about as natural as it gets.

We had to fight with this lady before we could get in and pick them... she was somewhat preturbed by us.

My lovely wife, Kayla, utilizing her light weight combined with Dad's "Farm - Tahoe" enabled her to gather pears pretty quick, while only being 5 feet tall ;)

She caught a couple of me doing the "ground work." The picker is a handy little tool - it may not be fast, but it gets the job done.

We stopped at a bushel + a peck basket last night, it will be plenty to keep us busy today peeling and cooking. There are plenty more left, and we'll probably make it back in a few weeks to collect again. The pears this year, while numerous, were stunted by our dry spell. This is the smallest that I have ever seen them come in - but they still taste the best :D . The variety as far as I can tell is called an "Old Time Winter Pear" from what I can gather talking to some older people around. It keeps exceptionally well and actually ripens better on the tree as opposed to off of the tree "wrapped" like the D'Anjou and Bartlett varieties.

And a picture of the tree with me (6'0 tall) standing with it.

We left from the field with our pears back to the house/barn to put everything up and Kayla snagged a few more pictures...

The fist "big tractor" to hit the farm... the 2150 and my father and grandfather have really put some hours in on the place..

The VAC and the Ford tucked in... they're a bit dirty at the moment but that will change soon!

And the newest workhorse... the 5203... it's been giving the 2150 a little rest lately.

Then of course we had to go feed the two "lard goats" with some "cull" pears + a few more. The big one we bottle raised about 5-6 years ago and the little one with her is her daughter - born back in March. They are a mess, but Kayla and I love them (Dad... not so sure, but he tolerates them.)

And a few onlookers, wondering where their pears were...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Awesome pictures Brandon. What a lucky young man you are to be living life as it was intended. Beautiful property, youth and ambition plus someone to share it all with....you have it all, sir. Thank you for another glimpse into the way you live your life. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Fantastic story and pics!!!!I haven't had pear butter in years made me want to go out and find some to make!!!That old tree brought back memories from when I was a kid had one that was real similar in our front pasture. Thanks for sharing!!!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Fantastic pic's! Thank you for posting and I love that Case :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
missouri massey man said:
Awesome pictures Brandon. What a lucky young man you are to be living life as it was intended. Beautiful property, youth and ambition plus someone to share it all with....you have it all, sir. Thank you for another glimpse into the way you live your life. :D :D :D
Well said!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey this one best post you have did. It was great reading and pictures was great to. ;)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, lots of kind comments! Thank you all very much. I wish this could be the story of every evening, but for right now it has to be a hobby when Kayla and I aren't at work... one day we'll get there full time though! Wouldn't trade anything for any of it, that's for sure.
An extra tidbit of information, the Pear tree there is the name from which my forum name and farm name comes from... among the big open field stands the single tree - it means a lot to us :D
Thank you all again for such kind words, it's very appreciated. Kayla and I have spent today making pear butter and honey from last night... it seems that hard work is paying off this time! Mike, if you happen to run in to Dad while you're in Berea sometime soon we will send a jar your way! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
God job. I enjoyed the post myself and I've been there. Love that old tree I've grabbed many pears as I went by mowing in the fall and enjoyed every one of them. Back in the 1800's and early 1900's there was a house that set just to the right of the tree the way the picture is taken. Always would find pieces of broke jars, marbles and dark spot and coal chips where the coal pile was.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
single tree farm said:
Wow, lots of kind comments! Thank you all very much. I wish this could be the story of every evening, but for right now it has to be a hobby when Kayla and I aren't at work... one day we'll get there full time though! Wouldn't trade anything for any of it, that's for sure.
An extra tidbit of information, the Pear tree there is the name from which my forum name and farm name comes from... among the big open field stands the single tree - it means a lot to us :D
Thank you all again for such kind words, it's very appreciated. Kayla and I have spent today making pear butter and honey from last night... it seems that hard work is paying off this time! Mike, if you happen to run in to Dad while you're in Berea sometime soon we will send a jar your way! ;)
Might have to hold you to it!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Enjoyed the pictures of the farm, the tractors and the story. Pear butter sounds real good! Thanks for posting!
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Brandon, we have 2 pear trees in the backyard that have been here as long as I can remember. They look very similar to yours. Most of the leaves have already fallen off them. I am very surprised that they are still alive and that one has not fallen. It is hollow too, but both of mine would not equal the size of yours.

These pears stay hard for a long time and have a gritty texture. I love pear preserves and all that can be done with them, but these are really hard to work with. We have some that we made 3 or 4 years ago. The trouble though is that Mrs. Jim makes so many good things, sometimes it is hard to make a choice of what to have next.

All the pics are great. Those that have never lived on a farm really do not know what they have missed. Maybe its a good thing more don't want to farm. It ensures those of us that like it plenty of work.

Just like today, I began getting up some rain soaked hay mowed last Friday. Not the best, but not so bad. The cows will take care of it. While hot, sweaty, and itchy from the dust and pieces of grass down my shirt, I see the birds passin' by, the beautiful blue sky, and the new green grass coming out and renewing itself, and was thankful that I was in such a wonderful place. Most of the time, my office is the outdoors :!: :D Where would I be in the city? :eek:

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Great story and photos Brandon. Alas, all the original fruit trees on my homestead have succumbed to nature. :cry:
I planted two apple and peach trees about twelve years ago, when the last original apple tree passed. ;)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Well Brandon and Kayla I know how hard you two work and I am really proud of you but Since you all are my Grandchildren I would expect nothing else.You two did a great job gardening this year even mother nature didn't coporate all the time.Keep up the good work enjoyed the stories. :lol:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, the deer steak and pear cobbler is a definite possibility. I'm thinking that we still have some deer steak in the freezer from last year - but there's nothing wrong with fresh! I have to admit though, after the evening like Kayla and I had with them - it does make it a little harder to pull the trigger in November...
Jimmy, you're absolutely right in all that you said. Autumn, though often associated with things going dormant and resting, to me brings new life as much as the spring seems to (especially in myself.) I'm more alive in the fall on the farm than I am any other time of the year, and I love it.
Dave - for the first time in my life I have found 2 new trees shooting up from this one just this year... they aren't off of the main tree either, so when it cools down a bit more I will probably try to transplant one of them to a location closer to the house - and leave one there to pick up where the other one will leave off one day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts