Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If people worked as hard to get an education and jobs as they do to get new electronic gadgets like the IPhone 5 by camping out at stores for days on end, many of our nation's ills and economic problems would have been eliminated years ago.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't want anything that's smarter than me!! I know this computer is, but what am I to do? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Very true... though the bleak job market right now is somewhat discouraging as to what can be achieved when you're just starting out.... take it from somebody who's there (and I'm sure that we've all been there at some time before) :lol:
Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful for what I have, but it was definitely a little different when I walked off of the stage at my College graduation than what I had expected while attending. Thankfully, the years I had dedicated in high school and through college working in grocery and produce helped secure me a full time management position when the time came that I could dedicate myself full time to an occupation.. even if it has nothing to do with my teaching degree :lol:
There are swarms of my peers however that I have watched that it's not worked out the same way for, be it for circumstance of the times, or personal outlooks that I can't understand... which I would say definitely lean towards Jim's original point... and there are plenty of them.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that a large part of the problem is that people no longer know how to do hard physical work. I ain't sayin' that that is a requirement for a successful career, but the work ethic that it deposits in one's mind is a great benefit and driver throughout life.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I grew up on a farm where there was always more work to be done than we could do. That taught me a good work ethic and to hang in there until the job was finished. I got up in the morning, did some chores and drove 10 miles to high school. As soon as school was over, I drove home and either did a lot of chores or went to the field and worked until too dark to see.

The people that can take time to camp out to buy an electronic gadget certainly don't have enough to do. And who is giving them the money to buy those gadgets? Always kind of irritated me to watch people in the waiting room at the clinic on their cell phones or playing their video games, while I knew that they were on welfare. Those are the kind of things that I would have shunned when I was barely getting by financially.

It's a different world than when most of us grew up - and it doesn't make much sense to me anymore.

·
Registered
906 Posts
While we are complaining about the new generation. How bout the way they dress at work? Look like they raided the rag bag and got the most worn out things they could find. They can't figure why nobody will hire them when they show up for a job interview dressed like that. OK, I'm off my soapbox!

·
Registered
270 Posts
bikerdave said:
While we are complaining about the new generation. How bout the way they dress at work? Look like they raided the rag bag and got the most worn out things they could find. They can't figure why nobody will hire them when they show up for a job interview dressed like that. OK, I'm off my soapbox!
When son graduated from college, I had to buy him clothes suitable for going to an interview as he thought he could just wear his college clothes. I also had to wrire his application letter and his resume. He had the idea that the college placement office was going to get him a job. He only sent out a couple letters and got a call from Northrup to fly to LA; he wore his interview clothes and was hired by Northrup right away. Ordinarily I would have just let him flounder on his own but I wanted him to get a job! When I told him that he would have to wrire for his job, he thought that he would have a secretary to do his writing. Now he has to write a lot for his job. I guess he learned eventually what he has to do to get and hold a job.

BTW, I have a minor in Journalism that helped me a lot in my working career.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So very true. I got up early this morning to try and bale some straw but be darned if I would do it to get to the store and buy the latest electronic gadget that will only be outdated in a few months anyway.
And yes, you can't really appreciate leisure time and rest if you don't do any work. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bikerdave said:

I wasn't necessairly complaining about the younger generation, although those seem to be the ones I see mostly following this lifestyle. The parents of many young folks seem to want to be "friends" with their kids instead of parents. This makes the parents do things to appease the kids, and over time the kids habits rub off on the parents. Mrs. Jim, being a school teacher, has seen this many times over her career. It's not too hard to spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts