Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SA I recently acquired has a 6 volt system, but a tiny battery cable to the starter. I got a new heavier cable today. When I removed the old one, to my surprise I noticed that the tractor was negative ground instead of positive ground. The tractor has been starting fine, and the ampmeter indicates good charging. Is there any reason to change it back to positive ground? :?: :?: :shock: My guess is that this was done when working to get it running before the sale after sitting so long. It has a new battery in it, and the tiny 12v cable was new too.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Re: Anoither Super A Surprise!

If it is charging, leave it alone! Its not going to hurt anything, and it may save the accidental battery expolsion in the future.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

John M said:
If it is charging, leave it alone! Its not going to hurt anything, and it may save the accidental battery expolsion in the future.
I thought it was ok, just caught off guard by it a bit. Talk about battery explosion, I went out to my cub several years ago, and it had been awhile since I had used it. The battery top looked as if it had been ripped right off of it. I got close to a water hose and gave it a bath. I sure was glad I wasn't on the tractor when that happened :!: :idea: :idea: :idea: ;)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I guess Ive been lucky, Ive only been around a couple that blew. One was my fault. Dad told me to hook up the charger to the lawnmower battery, wasnt watching what I was doing, or thinking it was the other lawnmower we had or something, but I hooked the charger up backwards, and it popped and covered me with acid. Luckily I was close to the hose pipe and survived with only one small scar, and that was from a piece of the casing. Second time I can recall was I had just gotten over to my grandmothers house with the M and the bush hog. Turn the tractor off to visit for a minute, pulled the switch back out, hit the starter button and it popped. Ive always been kinda leery around batteries for some reason, so every tractor I have ever owned has been converted to negative ground.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think that if you polarize a charging system backwards it will work but it is hard on the generator. Working from an older memory here so I may not be right. A DC rebuild guy might be able to tell you.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

John M said:
John, evidently it wasn't charging enuff, cuz the battery had slowky died to the point it would barely turn the engine over. I noticed when pulling the button switch that the amp gauge was moving forward which showed a charge, but was definitely a discharge. I was only using it for short periods of time in our small gardens here.

The backwards wired battery wasn't gonna work. I took it out of its box, turned it and hooked up with the positive grounded, re-polarized the regulator, and it seems to be working now. It might be a good thing for me, cuz now I can jump or charge it just as I do my other 6 volt tractors. The things we do for our old tractors... :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

Jim in NC said:
[quote="John M":16jn2jf3]If it is charging, leave it alone! Its not going to hurt anything, and it may save the accidental battery expolsion in the future.
John, evidently it wasn't charging enuff, cuz the battery had slowky died to the point it would barely turn the engine over. I noticed when pulling the button switch that the amp gauge was moving forward which showed a charge, but was definitely a discharge. I was only using it for short periods of time in our small gardens here.

The backwards wired battery wasn't gonna work. I took it out of its box, turned it and hooked up with the positive grounded, re-polarized the regulator, and it seems to be working now. It might be a good thing for me, cuz now I can jump or charge it just as I do my other 6 volt tractors. The things we do for our old tractors... :eek: :lol:[/quote:16jn2jf3]

Good deal. Theres nothing wrong with a + ground system, but I prefer a - system, since Ive been known to mess up!!!!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
John, you need the newer type jumper cables that are not colour coded, they change to the right polarity automatically. No more boom, boom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts